J.D., South Texas College of Law (2010)
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Rice University (2005)
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Brett’s practice encompasses all aspects of intellectual property law. Brett has drafted and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications world-wide, in addition to having managed large international patent portfolios in many technological fields that include, but are not limited to, automotive and medical devices, consumer electronics, light-emitting diode technology, electro-mechanical devices, and numerous oilfield technologies from oilfield tubulars and surface handling equipment to subsea equipment and downhole tools.
With respect to his expertise of intellectual property counseling, Brett has prepared non-infringement and invalidity opinions, counseled clients on patent design-around strategies, advised and supported clients in adversarial IP legal proceedings, consulted on the strength of patents in anticipation of litigation, and conducted intellectual property due diligence, in addition to various other intellectual property services.
Brett is a Certified Mediator through the Frank Evans Center for Conflict Resolution. Brett’s previous technical experience includes mechanical and civil engineering internships where he was responsible for designing the development plans for various construction projects, in addition to inspecting and appraising the utility systems for entire cities. Brett also was an orientation coordinator at Rice University where he organized and oversaw all activities to integrate over one hundred students into the university's educational system and environment. Further, Brett was a lab consultant for the Mechanical Engineering Department at Rice University, and passed the Engineer-In-Training (EIT) exam in Texas.
Seminars & Presentations
- "Intellectual Property Strategy at an International Level," A presentation focusing on intellectual property strategies for companies having various technologies and international needs, Presented at Austin IBM Innovation Center, Austin, Texas (2012)
- "Intellectual Property: A Primer on Patents, Copyrights, and Trademarks," A seminar introducing the intangible assets created under intellectual property and their use within the marketplace, Presented at Rice University's IEEE Chapter, Houston, Texas (2011)
- "Intellectual Property: A Primer for Engineers," A seminar overviewing the exclusive rights recognized within intellectual property and the technology that is protectable using such rights, Presented at Rice University's ASME Chapter, Houston, Texas (2010)
- Practitioner Lecturer and Panelist for Intellectual Property Career Discussion, Participated as a lecturer and panelist to provide career advice to individuals and students aspiring to enter the intellectual property community, Conducted at University of Houston Institute for Intellectual Property & Information Law (2010)
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Lawyers Association