University of Miami School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, 2000, magna cum laude
Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 1999
Tulane University, B.A., 1996
Rising Star, H Texas Magazine, 2007
Tulane International Law Journal
Tulane Dean's Advisory Council
David is a shareholder in the firm's Business Group. Known for helping his clients find practical and timely solutions, David is a leading corporate transactional attorney. His clients include both private and public middle-market companies. David represents buyers and sellers on business acquisitions, issuers in securities offerings and borrowers and lenders in commercial finance transactions. Based in Houston, Texas, David has a particular focus on the energy, real estate, manufacturing and financial services industries.
David regularly advises management teams, in-house general counsel, boards of directors and investors in the development and execution of their corporate strategies. He also frequently speaks to professional groups about structuring or negotiating a business sale or acquisition.
David's goal is to approach each client relationship with a view to maintaining trust and promoting project efficiency. He understands that lasting relationships are built one phone call at a time. David is married to his wife, Lindsey, and they have three sons, Jacob, Daniel and Benjamin.
Mergers, Acquisitions and Significant Asset Sales
- Represented company in sale of project engineering firm (sales price undisclosed).
- Represented sellers of broad line food distribution company (sales price undisclosed).
- Represented sellers of well testing business in South America ($70 million).
- Currently serves as "outside general counsel" to professional employer organization and affiliated insurance and finance businesses (includes roll up acquisitions of several competitors).
- Represented large, publicly-owned, seismic survey company in $105 million acquisition of competitor.
- Represented buyer in $55 million acquisition of an oil and gas equipment supplier.
- Assisted ice cream producer in corporate reorganization ($18 million in approximate savings to client).
- Assisted in a management buyout of large shipping and platform design firm ($15 million acquisition).
- Represented buyer of several concrete asphalt production facilities (totaling $9 million).
- Assisted in the representation of purchaser in $6 million acquisition of chemical pump manufacturing plants and related real estate assets.
- Represented specialty pipe company in purchase and rehabilitation of cold pilger machine ($7 million) and in negotiation of senior credit facility ($15 million).
- Represented buyer of energy services company in Eagle Ford shale ($6 million).
- Represented buyer of bankrupt construction supply business with six Texas locations ($5 million).
- Represented sand and gravel production company in $5 million acquisition of competitor.
- Represented home electronics retailer in regional expansion and $3 million acquisition of business assets.
- Assisted seller in $3 million sale of assets of commercial insurance agency.
- Represented seller of food distribution business and underlying real estate ($112 million sale).
- Represented home builder in $2 million buy-out of outside investors.
- Provides continuous legal representation to management arm of an airport development and privatization group (includes handling employee matters, general corporate and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act program compliance).
- Assisted natural gas storage company in reorganization of corporate assets to limit liability exposure.
Securities: Public and Private Offerings
- Assisted in the representation of an issuer in public security offering ($554 million raised).
- Assisted in the representation of a hedge fund in $175 million private placement of securities.
- Represented issuer in $125 million equity offering and listing on the American Stock Exchange.
- Represented issuer of $110 million Senior Floating Rate Notes.
- Represented energy services company in public debt offering ($50 million).
- Represented retail real estate developer in various equity offerings, debt financings and mixed-use developments ($12 million in equity raised).
- Represented master franchisee of U.S. restaurant chain in Australia and New Zealand, including the raising of $10 million in debt and equity to fund operations.
- Negotiated loan documentation in the financing of construction loans for retail developer.
- Assisted developer of master-plan community in raising capital and partnership issues ($20 million in equity raised).
- Negotiated numerous commodity, financial derivatives (e.g., interest rate and foreign currency swaps) and gas marketing contracts on behalf of publicly-held oil and gas companies.
- Represented investor in structuring oil and gas exploration and production venture (initial funding valued in excess of $8 million).
Real Estate Transactions
- Represents retail shopping center developer in land acquisitions and property development ($25 million in the aggregate).
- Represented buyer of 7 story office tower in the Galleria area of Houston, Texas ($6 million).
- Represented natural gas storage operator in $18 million acquisition of 600 acres of land for underground storage operations.
- Represented tenants and franchisees in the lease of retail space and negotiation of franchise agreements.
- Represented seller of commercial property in College Station, Texas ($2 million).
Professional Affiliations/Personal Interests
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Houston Bar Association
- Impact investing
- Coaching youth sports