Emory School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2004
Georgia State University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2001
Student Leadership Award, Georgia State University, 2001
President, Student Bar Association, Emory School of Law, 2004
Emory Law's Inter-Scholastic Constitutional Moot Court Team, 2003 and 2004
Dean's Public Service Award, Emory School of Law, 2004
Mentor for the State Bar of Georgia Transition into the Practice of Law Program
Recognized in 2012, 2013 and 2014 as a "Georgia Rising Star" in business litigation by Georgia Super Lawyers. No more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in Georgia are named to the list, which recognizes the best attorneys under age 40
Selected by the Daily Report as one of 14 attorneys under 40 that are “On the Rise”
Supreme Court of the United States
United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
Georgia Court of Appeals
"The object of lawsuits is to resolve merits of disputes, not to engage in a meaningless frustration of them." Judge Dorothy Toth Beasley, Adams v. Cato, 170 Ga. App. 28, 28, 332 S.E.2d 355, 356 (1985).
Attorneys often miss the forest for the trees by losing sight of a client's ultimate objectives in the intermediate obstacles. By utilizing my legal knowledge and experience and the clients' business expertise, we both understand our ultimate goals and the potential opportunities and risks.
Though most disputes resolve themselves before trial, I have both trial and arbitration experience, and when appropriate for my clients' objectives, I proceed aggressively in litigation. My benchmarks for client service are promptness, efficiency, and professionalism.
As a complex commercial litigator, I have experience with contract disputes, shareholder disagreements, insurance coverage, international litigation, employer-employee restrictive covenants, internal investigations, civil RICO claims, embezzlement investigations, complex-damage determinations, landlord-tenant disputes, quiet-title actions, probate litigation, tort claims, suits on notes, confirmation proceedings and real property disputes throughout metro Atlanta, including in Fulton, DeKalb, Henry, Rockdale, Spalding and Douglas counties. My clients range from large national and multi-national corporations to individuals and start-up companies.
I also have significant experience working with federal, state and local governments, including with various departments of the City of Atlanta.
Forced a settlement on behalf of a private individual against a federal governmental entity in litigation in the Northern District of Georgia and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Prevailed in a First Amendment constitutional challenge against the State of Georgia and received all requested relief and our attorneys’ fees from the State.
Prosecuting an action on behalf of a financial institution against another financial institution for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract related to large commercial real estate loan and involving alleged abuse of a government program.
- Won an important decision before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, establishing jurisdiction over RICO defendants domiciled in other states.
- Secured a judgment in excess of $14 million on behalf of a telecommunications service provider against a telecommunications retailer.
- Prevailed on summary judgment and received a multi-million dollar award from the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia on a claim for breach of a shareholder agreement involving the interpretation of a buy-sell clause.
- Won an arbitration award against an Atlanta-area accounting firm on behalf of a departing partner. My client was paid what we believed he was owed, plus his attorneys' fees and costs.
- Secured a confidential settlement from a Fortune Global 100 company based in Korea on behalf of our client. In a rare and important international legal decision, which helped leverage a settlement, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia compelled the defendant to stay or dismiss a parallel proceeding that it filed in South Korea so that Northern District could resolve the dispute.
- Defeated multi-million dollar claims against a commercial property lender in connection with a loan for a Buckhead development.
- Successfully mediated a chain of title dispute involving a national lender and a title auction company.
- Defeated two claims to a 350-acre parcel of real property in the Atlanta area.
- Settled claims against my client, the developer and grantor of a large commercial property, arising approximately two years after the sale of the property.
Seminars & Presentations
- "Partnering With Counsel On Complex Accounting Disputes, Including Negotiation, Mediation, Arbitration and Litigation, and Protecting the Accountant-Client Priviledge" September 2014
- “Depositions: Tactics and Strategies,” Trial and Error CLE, March 15, 2013
- "Be in the Know: What You Need to Know About Current Legal Issues that Impact You and Your Client's Business," Business Planning Seminar, 2010.
- "Counseling Your Clients about Privilege, Confidential Information and Trade Secrets," Business Planning Seminar for Accountants, 2009.
- “Electronic Discovery and the New Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” Taking and Defending Effective Depositions CLE, 2006
- "Clouds on Title: Placing or Removing Lis Pendens, Liens and Equitable Liens," Real Estate Law from A-Z CLE, 2008
- "What to Do When A Restrictive Covenant is Breached: Counseling and Working With the Client," Covenants Not to Compete CLE, 2008 and 2009
- “Dancing with the Big Boys: Georgia Adopts (Most of) the Federal Rules of Evidence,” 63 Mercer L. Rev. 1, 3, Special Contribution (2011)
- "Pro & Con: Kagan's Work History," Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Sunday, May 16, 2010
- Grant Park Conservancy, President
- Red Clay Democrats, Immediate Past Chairman
- Georgia Victory 2014, Voter Protection Litigation Chair
- Georgia State University Religious Student Department, Board of Advisors
- American Constitution Society, Georgia Lawyer Chapter, Past President
- Emory University Annual Fund Board, Past Member
- Emory Law Alumni Executive Committee, Past Member
- Daily Report, April 2016
- Daily Report, October 2015
- Accounting Today, July 2015
- Kovel agreements can help you protect clients' confidential informationAccounting Today, January 2015
- Atlanta-based Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Recognized as 2013 Georgia Super Lawyers and Rising StarsExperienced and Up-and-Coming Lawyers Receive Prominent Peer RecognitionMay 2013
- The Daily Report's Annual Pick of Georgia Lawyers Under 40August 2012