Equine LawPrint PDF
The Equine Law Practice Group at Chamberlain Hrdlicka focuses on legal issues that may arise in all aspects of the thoroughbred industry and thoroughbred-related activities. Our attorneys, many of whom are members of the American Thoroughbred Council and the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association, possess particular training and experience in the subtleties inherent in the practice of equine law.
We provide assistance to individual thoroughbred owners, horse breeders and breeding farms, trainers, riders, instructors and veterinarians. We additionally represent, and help to structure, corporations, partnerships, syndications and associations in matters relating to the ownership, boarding, breeding and sale of horses.
Areas of Expertise
Deals made on a handshake carry risk – for the animals as well as for the individuals involved. Our attorneys secure the legal protections necessary to reduce such risk in tax, contracts, civil litigation and a host of issues related to the thoroughbred industry and equine pursuits, including:
- Tax planning and resolution of tax disputes
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiation of contracts, such as:
- Purchase and sale agreements
- Lease agreements including co-ownership, stallion services, foal sharing, mare leasing, transfers of ownership, training and boarding agreements
- Waivers and releases
- Real Estate contracts and transactions; zoning and land use issues
- Representation of individuals and corporate entities in lawsuits and disputes
Legal acumen backed by experience in the practice of equine law combined to produce success in a recent landmark case that set precedent in the United States Tax Court. Shareholder David D. Aughtry led a team of Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in presenting a winning argument before the Court in the first successful case that recognized horses as a deductible business development tool. As a result, we were able to mitigate our client’s significant tax liability equaling up to 40% of her horse losses as deductions on her tax return. (To read the complete case summary, please click here.)
News & Publications
- Most Common Mistakes Made By Horse Buyers
- Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association Sales Integrity Program Buyers Survey
- Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association Sales Integrity Task Force Recommendations
- Equine Law Practice Group Hosts Seminars
- Fraud, Taxes Focus of Horse Owners Seminar
- A Business or Just a Hobby?