New York University School of Law, LL.M., 1981
Texas Tech University, J.D., with high honors, Law Review, Order of the Coif, 1979
University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1976
Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Peer Review Rating
Frequently selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, as recently as 2014
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
United States Tax Court
United States Court of Claims
Federal District Court Western District of Texas
Bill Lester has over twenty-five years of experience counseling a wide range of clients in tax and business planning and tax controversy matters. His clients include public and private corporations, wealthy individuals and tax exempt organizations.
Bill has experience in succession, transition and exit planning for privately-held businesses; representation of Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs), companies and fiduciaries; strategic tax planning for acquisitions and dispositions of businesses and business interests; large case and coordinated audits, and contesting issues through IRS appeals and beyond to Tax Court and other available forums.
Bill, who is also a Certified Public Accountant, is a frequent speaker and author on a wide variety of tax-related topics.
- Representation of 5,000+ employee retail business in transition from family control with over 400 owners to one of the largest ESOP owned businesses in the United States. Counseled company in S Election structure which permitted company to pay no Federal Income Tax.
- Representation of publicly traded medical device company in going private transaction.
- Representation of publicly traded bank holding company in stock acquisition of a publicly traded target bank holding company.
- Representation of privately owned technology company in private equity transaction.
- Represented numerous public and private businesses and individuals before IRS appeals, U.S. Tax Court, U.S. Department of Labor and Texas Comptroller.
- Briefed and argued before the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Formed first Texas LLC.
- Peer Ranked in Construction, Eminent Domain, Employee Benefits (ERISA), Government Relations, Immigration, Litigation - Construction, Litigation - Trusts & Estates, Tax, Tax Litigation & Controversy, Trademark, Trusts & EstatesSeptember 18, 2018
- National law firm achieves top rankings in tax law, tax litigation and trust and estates law
- Attorneys Ranked in Tax, Construction, Trust and Estates, Employee Benefits and Immigration CategoriesJune 22, 2017
- November 2, 2015
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Named to US News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" 2015 Ranking; Fifteen Attorneys Nationally Ranked in 2015 edition of Best Lawyers®Firm and Attorneys Ranked in Tax, Tax Controversy, Construction, Trust and Estates, Employee Benefits, and Immigration CategoriesNovember 2014