University of Richmond School of Law (JD, 2007)
The College of William & Mary (BA, 2003)
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
Fellow, Bar Association of Montgomery County Leadership Development Academy, 2017
Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" – Virginia, 2014, 2015
Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" – Washington, D.C., 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" – Maryland, 2018, 2019
Virginia Business "Legal Elite", 2013, 2017, 2018
Richmond Magazine – Top Attorneys (“Rising Stars”), 2014
Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion Platinum Award, 2017, 2018
Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award, 2013, 2016
Avvo.com Clients’ Choice Award, 2014
District of Columbia (2014)
Supreme Court of the United States (2018)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (2015)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia (2008)
U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia (2012)
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (2014)
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (2016)
U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado (2019)
U.S. Court of Federal Claims (2017)
Jeffrey Hord is a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment Practice Group, where his practice is focused on representing employers and management in litigation and agency proceedings. An experienced trial lawyer, Mr. Hord has successfully represented companies and executives in federal and state courts, arbitrations, and administrative hearings involving virtually all facets of labor and employment law.
In addition to defending employers against claims arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the FLSA, ADA, NLRA, FMLA, and ADEA (as well as analogous state & local statutes), Mr. Hord has extensive experience in litigation matters arising out of and relating to the workplace such as breach of contract, fraud, civil conspiracy, conversion, and more. He also regularly advises and counsels clients on a wide variety of employment issues, including worker classification, DOL and OFCCP compliance, employee separation, shareholder disputes, and restrictive covenants.
Mr. Hord’s performance as a litigator has garnered significant recognition within the legal community. He holds an AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, has been named to seven “Rising Star” lists (across three states) by Thomson Rueters Super Lawyers since 2014, and is a three-time “Legal Elite” selectee by Virginia Business magazine. From 2009 to 2012, he served as an adjunct professor at the American University Washington College of Law, instructing some of the nation’s top law students on all aspects of trial practice. He has also been asked to instruct other attorneys on various business litigation topics at popular continuing legal education seminars across the mid-Atlantic area.
- Represented international consulting firm in multi-million dollar breach-of-contract action in federal court. After four-day bench trial, prevailed on all disputed issues of fact and was awarded full damages.
- As first-chair trial counsel, represented multiple defendants accused of fraud, conversion, conspiracy, and unjust enrichment relating to certain benefits accounts. Obtained judgment as to 8 of 10 counts and limited damages to just 3% of plaintiffs' demand, then successfully preserved outcome on appeal.
- Negotiated highly favorable settlement on behalf of a California-based finance lender sued for breach of contract, fraudulent inducement, and unjust enrichment after more than 15 months of complex litigation spanning two states.
- As lead counsel on behalf of a property tax consulting firm, secured highly favorable settlement payout from one of the nation's largest cable broadband providers for unpaid fees relating to defendant's realized total tax savings.
- Successfully defended an 8(a) certified government subcontractor against a $4 million shareholder action involving proceeds from construction projects in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Other reported cases:
286 F.Supp.3d 685 (D.Md. 2017)
2012 WL 6692414 (E.D.Va. Jan. 24, 2012)
Faculty/Presenter, “Business Contracts from A to Z” – National Business Institute CLE Seminar (July 2012)
Faculty/Presenter, “Resolving Business Disputes” – National Business Institute CLE Seminar (August 2015)
Faculty/Presenter, “Employment Law: 2016 Comprehensive Guide” – National Business Institute CLE Seminar (August 2016)
Faculty/Presenter, “Advanced Employment Law: Everything You Need To Know” – National Business Institute CLE Seminar (April 2018)
Author/Presenter, “Guns, Drugs, and Facebook: Social Media and After-Hours Behavior” – Paley Rothman Employment Law Day (November 2016)
- American Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- Federal Bar Association (Labor & Employment Law Section)
- Maryland State Bar Association (Young Lawyers Section)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Phi Alpha Delta
Articles & Publications
“As Use of Service Animals–and 'Fake' Service Animals–Rises, Employers Faced with New Questions,” Labouring Oar, Spring 2018