South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2007
University of Texas at Austin, B.S. 2004
Texas Bar Foundation - Life Fellow
Selected as a “Leading Lawyer in Texas” by Leaders In The Law
Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyers "Rising Star." No more than 2.5% of attorneys in Texas receive this distinction, 2016, 2017, 2018
Named as a "Top Lawyer in Houston" by H Texas Magazine, 2015, 2016, 2017
Dean’s Honor List
Phi Sigma Theta—National Honor Society
Paul and Mary Haas Scholarship Recipient
United States District Court, Western District of Texas
United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
Justin E. VandenBout is a trial lawyer that maintains a general litigation practice with an emphasis on commercial litigation and complex insurance coverage litigation. He has extensive experience in complex insurance coverage litigation and has been successful in both prosecuting and defending insurance coverage lawsuits, including securing a dismissal of claims against clients through Motion for Summary Judgment in first party bad faith, DTPA, breach of contract, and declaratory judgment actions. Mr. VandenBout has also successfully defended and prosecuted a broad range of cases in state and federal courts involving trademark infringement, breach of contract, products liability, employment law, discrimination, defamation, personal injury, wrongful death, premises liability, financial services, and real estate. Mr. VandenBout has first and second chair trial experience for both Plaintiffs and Defendants in a variety of cases, including business partnership disputes, personal injury, property damage, and commercial litigation. His exposure to a wide variety of litigation makes him well suited to represent clients in a range of matters.
- Successfully represented various clients in multi-million dollar complex insurance coverage litigation including representing a national leader in the management of multi-family properties in connection with the prosecution of claims against client’s insurer for breach of contract, bad faith and various insurance code violations based upon insurer’s adjustment and delay in payment of property and business losses sustained by client’s five luxury properties in the Houston area that were damaged by Hurricane Ike. Mr. VandenBout’s representation resulted in securing insurance coverage for the client and a multi-million dollar settlement compensating his client for its losses.
- On multiple occasions, Mr. VandenBout has successfully represented clients who sustained significant personal injuries and economic losses obtain verdicts at trial that were more than 10 times the amount offered by the respective Defendants prior to trial.
- Successfully defended a prominent medical oncology practice against claims by a former physician for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and employment discrimination. After written discovery and depositions, the Plaintiff agreed to “walk away” from all claims as well as what initially amounted to a multi-million dollar demand.
- Serves as national insurance coverage counsel for the largest independent brine producer in the United States, which includes assistance in securing insurance coverage and prompt payment of claims that total in excess of $150 million related to a catastrophic loss in 2012.
- Successfully represented Chick-fil-A, Inc. in obtaining final summary judgment and a dismissal of all claims in a high exposure premises liability and products liability case pending in Cameron County, Texas involving claims by four Plaintiffs for substantial injuries and economic damages.
- Served as first chair trial counsel in defending client and obtaining take nothing judgment in a business partnership dispute.
- Successfully defended leading healthcare provider and affiliated surgery center against claims for garnishment and foreclosure in relation to several Loan and Security Agreements, including securing an order of dissolution with respect to an attempted garnishment action.
Publications and Presentations
- Deep Impact – Why the In re Deepwater Horizon Opinion Matters for Construction Contracts and Additional Insured Insurance Coverage, The Critical Path, June 2015
- Contractual Forum Selection Clauses in Texas – Things Are Not Always As They Appear.
- Section 18.091 of the Civil Practice & Remedies Code – Presentation and Proof of Damages Net of Federal Income Tax Liability.
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Fort Bend County Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Attorneys from Five Practice Areas Received the RecognitionMarch 29, 2018
- Attorneys from Six Practice Areas Received Coveted RecognitionJune 2017
- April 28, 2017
- January 2017
- Attorneys from Six Practice Areas Receive Coveted RecognitionMarch 18, 2016