New York University School of Law, LL.M., 1981
Texas Tech University, J.D., with high honors, Law Review, Order of the Coif, 1979
University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1976
Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Peer Review Rating
Listed in Best Lawyers in America®, 2006-2020
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
United States Tax Court
United States Court of Claims
Federal District Court Western District of Texas
Bill Lester has over thirty years of experience counseling a wide range of clients in tax and business planning and tax controversy matters. His clients include public and private corporations, wealthy individuals and tax exempt organizations.
Bill has experience in succession, transition and exit planning for privately-held businesses; representation of Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs), companies and fiduciaries; strategic tax planning for acquisitions and dispositions of businesses and business interests; large case and coordinated audits, and contesting issues through IRS appeals and beyond to Tax Court and other available forums.
Bill is also a Certified Public Accountant and is a frequent speaker and author on a wide variety of tax-related topics.
- Representation of 5,000+ employee retail business in transition from family control with over 400 owners to one of the largest ESOP owned businesses in the United States. Counseled company in S Election structure which permitted company to pay no Federal Income Tax.
- Representation of publicly traded medical device company in going private transaction.
- Representation of publicly traded bank holding company in stock acquisition of a publicly traded target bank holding company.
- Representation of privately owned technology company in private equity transaction.
- Represented numerous public and private businesses and individuals before IRS appeals, U.S. Tax Court, U.S. Department of Labor and Texas Comptroller.
- Briefed and argued before the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Formed first Texas LLC.
- Record Number of Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News 2020 Best Lawyers in America® and Four Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 15, 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka again named a "Best Law Firm" by US NewsNovember 1, 2018
- Peer Ranked in Construction, Eminent Domain, Employee Benefits (ERISA), Government Relations, Immigration, Litigation - Construction, Litigation - Trusts & Estates, Tax, Tax Litigation & Controversy, Trademark, Trusts & EstatesSeptember 18, 2018
- National law firm achieves top rankings in tax law, tax litigation and trust and estates law
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Ranked in Construction, Litigation – Construction, Eminent Domain & Condemnation, Employee Benefits (ERISA), Government Relations, Immigration, Tax, Litigation and Controversy - Tax, and Trust & Estates CategoriesAugust 2017
- Attorneys Ranked in Tax, Construction, Trust and Estates, Employee Benefits and Immigration CategoriesJune 22, 2017