University of Texas-Pan American - Bachelor of Business Administration
University of Texas School of Law - Juris Doctorate
Georgetown University Law Center - Executive L.L.M. in Tax
Included on Thomson Reuters list of “Texas Super Lawyers”- 2007-2019
AV Rated - Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
Named a "Top Lawyer" by Houstonia Magazine, 2019
State Bar of Texas - 1989
United States District Court - Southern, Western District of Texas
United States Court of Appeals - Fifth Circuit
United States Tax Court
United States Court of Federal Claims
Supreme Court of Texas - Justice James P. Wallace - Judicial Intern
David Calvillo delivers a multidisciplinary perspective to his clients from the Firm’s offices in Houston and San Antonio.
As an accomplished board certified civil trial lawyer, professional neutral, certified public accountant, and certified valuation analyst, he brings a variety of skill sets and focused passion to his practice. David has successfully tried, litigated, and arbitrated matters in diverse practice areas, including breach of contract, business separation, commercial liability, construction, shareholder rights, professional malpractice, personal injury and wrongful death, employment, debt collection, and intellectual property matters.
David is also an experienced professional neutral and actively serves as an arbitrator in commercial, construction, employment, international and health law disputes with the American Arbitration Association, the American Health Lawyer’s Association, and in court appointed and party-selected disputes. As a mediator, David has conducted several thousand mediations and has earned the recognition of his peers as a Distinguished Credentialed Mediator. He is one of the few truly bilingual mediators and bilingual arbitrators available throughout the State of Texas. His multidisciplinary expertise has earned him the attention of his colleagues and Texas courts, who have tapped him to serve as a Special Discovery Master and Receiver in scores of complex litigation matters.
David’s training and experience with the world’s largest public accounting firms as a financial auditor and tax professional as well as his training as a business valuation professional, make him uniquely suited to advise and represent clients in financial and tax matters, including an evolving practice in tax controversy and litigation.
David served the legal profession as an Exam Commissioner for the Civil Trial Specialization Committee of the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, as a member of the Council of the ADR Section, as a member of the Council of the Hispanic Issues Section of the State Bar of Texas, and as an elected member of the American Law Institute. He has previously served as the Chair of the region’s State Bar of Texas’ Grievance Committee.
David also feels called to participate in and contribute his talents to the community. For example, he has served his parishes throughout the years as a member of the Finance Committee, Pastoral Council, and in various ministries. He has likewise served as an officer and President of the Board of Directors for the local Boy’s and Girl’s Club, youth sports coach, and currently serves as a fully trained Assistant Scoutmaster with his sons’ Boy Scout Troop. He is a charter and continuing member of the Board of Contributors for a historic South Texas newspaper.
A native of the Rio Grande Valley in deep South Texas, David Calvillo is also proudly bicultural and bilingual, fluent in English and Spanish. Totus Tuus.
- Represented a state-wide health care provider in a jury trial obtaining a favorable jury verdict and judgment resulting in a finding of fraud, conversion and breach of fiduciary duty after presenting detailed forensic accounting evidence to the jury
- Represented a multi-national food products company and its Mexican affiliate in a cross-border contractual dispute exonerating the company of the original claim and obtaining a sizable favorable jury verdict and judgment on its counterclaim along with a finding of fraud
- Represented a commercial landowner obtaining a favorable sizable jury verdict and judgment against a national telecommunications carrier and others in a slander of title and business tort action
- Represented a European winemaker and vineyard in contractual dispute with a Texas-based company in obtaining a dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction due to the company’s lack of sufficient connection with the United States
- Represented a national real estate developer asserting claims of interference with existing and prospective contracts resulting in a substantial confidential settlement midway through an expected lengthy jury trial
- Represented an owner, a governmental entity, in a construction defects action brought against the architects, engineers, and contractors resulting in a full recovery of the relevant insurance policies
- Defended an engineer against allegations of design defects in a series of commercial projects throughout the State of Texas resulting in a very favorable nuisance settlement
- Defended an architect against allegations of design defects in a custom residential project resulting in a favorable nominal nuisance settlement
- Defended a nationwide transportation company in deep South Texas and obtained a fully favorable verdict and judgment exonerating its driver and the company from allegations of negligence
- Represented the family of the deceased in a wrongful death and survivorship action resulting in a sizable recovery for the surviving beneficiaries.
- Prosecuted a medical malpractice and medical device products liability action resulting in the health care provider’s insurance carrier tendering of its full policy limits and an abundant settlement by the device manufacturer
- Defended a nationwide poultry company in deep South Texas and obtained a defense verdict and judgment exonerating the company and its driver from allegations of negligence
- Represented a taxpayer in U.S. Tax Court against the Internal Revenue Service resulting in a full concession adopting the taxpayer’s position
- Formed nonprofit entities and obtained favorable determinations by the Internal Revenue Service of its 501(c)(3) non-profit status
- Appointed as a Special Discovery Master in over two dozen commercial construction cases by multiple state district courts to assist the courts in resolving all discovery disputes
- Appointed a Discovery Master in an automotive products liability action brought against a global auto maker and a well-known industry supplier of technology
- Appointed as a Special Master to issue a Report and Recommendation to the Court on the applicability of privacy restrictions to the production of detailed medical and financial records
- Appointed as a Receiver to preserve the marital estate, including the management and operation of the family’s state wide ambulance business monitoring and approving only reasonable and necessary business expenses
- Appointed as a Receiver to gather financial information and related data to provide the court with valuations for a number of ongoing energy-related businesses located throughout North America
- Appointed as a Receiver to collect a judgment rendered against an ongoing health care business
- Appointed as a Receiver to preserve the marital estate, including managing and operating the family’s extensive real estate development business, and manage and initiate litigation to preserve and maximize the value of the estate
- Selected as a Receiver for the benefit of a European creditor to preserve the collateral securing large loans advanced to a health care practice, including liquidating assets to satisfy the debt
- Selected as a Receiver for the benefit of a nationwide lending institution to preserve the collateral and maximize its value, including the management and operation of an apartment complex located in deep South Texas
- American Law Institute - elected member
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- State Bar of Texas- Council - ADR Section
- Hispanic National Bar Association - former National Membership Chair
- Mexican American Bar Association - former State Treasurer
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration
- American Arbitration Association - Roster of Neutrals
- American Health Lawyers Association - Roster of Neutrals
- Texas Border Business, February 19, 2020
- February 13, 2020
- December 2019
- Texas Lawyer, November 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka to Host 42nd Annual Houston Tax and Business Planning Seminar on October 30th at Norris Conference Center at City CentreOctober 30, 2019
- October 2019
Seminars & Presentations
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka 42nd Annual Houston Tax and Business Planning Seminar - October 30, 2019 at the Norris Conference Center at City CentreOctober 30, 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka McAllen Tax and Business Planning Seminar - March 4, 2019Home Ownership Center, 500 South 15th Street, McAllen, Texas 78501, March 4, 2019
- Tax Blawg, March 4, 2019