University of Texas at Austin, B.A., History 2011
University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2015 (Member of Texas Review of Entertainment and Sports Law)
Southern District of Texas
Eastern District of Texas
Brian Smith is an associate in the firm’s Labor and Employment Practice Group in Houston. He defends employers in federal and state courts, arbitrations, and administrative proceedings involving alleged wage and hour violations, discrimination, harassment, and pregnancy and medical leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act.
Mr. Smith has experience defending employers in both Fair Labor Standards Act collective actions and wage and hour Rule 23 class actions. He has represented employers before state and federal administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division, and the Texas Workforce Commission. Mr. Smith also advises employers on employee classification issues, including employee vs. independent contractor status.
- State Bar of Texas – Labor and Employment Section
- Houston Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Update - Government Agency Guidance on the COVID-19 PandemicJune 9, 2020
- Labor & Employment Update - DOL Expands OT Exemptions for Certain Employees of Retail and Service EstablishmentsMay 20, 2020
- Chamberlain L&E Update - Unemployment Benefits in Georgia and TexasApril 2, 2020
- Chamberlain L&E Update - Layoff vs. Furlough: Legal and Practical RamificationsMarch 30, 2020
- Chamberlain L&E Update - Families First Coronavirus Response Act - Effective Date ChangeMarch 24, 2020
- Chamberlain L&E Update - Summary of Paid Leave provisions under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (H.R. 6201)March 19, 2020
- Article by Annette Idalski and Brian Smith on “Oil and Gas Personnel Issues: Legal Minefields”Oil & Gas Investor, September 16, 2020
- Article by Annette Idalski and Brian Smith on “Oil & Gas & COVID-19 Hit Hard, Consider All Options Before Layoffs”SHALEMAG.com, June 3, 2020