University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A. in Political Science, 2006
Georgia State University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2014
Listed in US News Best Lawyers in America "Ones to Watch" (2021, 2022)
Michael Coverstone is a senior associate in the Tax Controversy & Litigation Group. Michael represents individuals and businesses with disputes with the Internal Revenue Service and various state tax authorities.
Michael has significant experience advising and representing taxpayers with the following types of tax matters: tax audits/examinations, administrative appeals, tax court litigation, penalty abatement requests, innocent spouse relief requests, and various collection matters, including representing taxpayers during Collection Due Process Hearings, negotiating installment agreements and offers in compromise, and challenging tax liens and levies. Additionally, Michael has extensive experience with employment tax compliance and controversy matters, and has represented numerous businesses, owners, and other responsible parties in federal employment tax investigations, including trust fund recovery penalty proceedings.
Michael also advises and represents individuals and businesses with delinquent domestic and international tax reporting and payment obligations.
- State Bar of Georgia, Taxation Law Section
- Atlanta Bar Association, Tax Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Philip C. Cook Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic, Advisory Board Member
- Best Lawyers in America® selects 54 Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys for Recognition for 2022August 19, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News – 2021 Best Lawyers in America®, Three Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 20, 2020
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution, August 5, 2018
- Metro Atlanta CEO, August 2, 2018