University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 2015
University of Oklahoma, B.A., 2007
Texas Bar Foundation – Fellow
Order of Barristers
Houston Journal of International Law, Board 38, Articles Editor
United States District Court Southern District of Texas
United States District Court Eastern District of Texas
United States District Court Northern District of Texas
United States District Court Western District of Texas
Pierce Cox is a litigator experienced in regulatory compliance, fraud investigation, and electronic discovery. Pierce has earned the Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) credential through the International Association of Privacy Professionals, and advises clients regarding compliance with data privacy laws, preparing for and reducing exposure to data privacy threats, and mitigating potential losses from data breaches or misuse of information assets.
Prior to attending law school, Pierce was an Internet enforcement investigator for the Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Attorney General’s Office. Pierce developed cases under Texas statutes governing privacy and data protection, identity theft, and spam email while working to raise constituent awareness on information privacy issues. Pierce also helped to establish the Texas AG’s dedicated electronic discovery team as an eDiscovery Technician.
Pierce’s clients benefit from his strong advocacy skills. In law school, Pierce won national and regional awards for his writing and speaking skills while competing as a member of the University of Houston Law Center Moot Court Team. Pierce led The Advocates at UHLC as Executive Chair, and served as an Articles Editor on Board 38 of the Houston Journal of International Law. His international energy comment is published in Volume 37 of the Journal. Pierce is a member of the Order of Barristers and an Eagle Scout.
- Obtained dismissal of Mexican law firm client from state court lawsuit filed in Harris County, Texas seeking damages of over $1 million through Special Appearance arguing lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Drafted insureds’ summary judgment briefing in highly contested insurance coverage action regarding insurer’s duty to defend former C-level executives in ongoing underlying litigation pursuant to D&O policy which resulted in insurer agreeing to accept defense and pay incurred costs before decision was rendered.
- Secured summary judgment for employer client on alleged breach of severance agreement.
- Drafted Rule 91a briefing in complex lawsuit against attorney client which resulted in nonsuit.
- Successfully argued for dismissal of insurance agency client improperly joined to federal court lawsuit asserting first-party claims against insurance carrier.
- Obtained take-nothing summary judgment for insurer client in first-party action alleging bad-faith failure to pay under comprehensive auto policy.
Seminars & Presentations
- CYA 2020 – Contracts and Insurance to Cover Your Assets, presented at 2020 Chamberlain Hrdlicka Annual Tax and Business Planning Seminar
- #gumshoe: An Introduction to Gathering Evidence on the Web, presented at Spring 2011 National Association of Attorneys General conference, Cybersecurity: What State Prosecutors Need to Know
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Virtual This Year! Chamberlain Hrdlicka Virtual Annual Tax and Business Planning Seminar is November 10-12, 2020November 10, 2020
- Privacy and Data Security Practice launches at Chamberlain HrdlickaOctober 20, 2020
Seminars & Presentations
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka's Annual Tax and Business Planning Seminar is Virtual for 2020!November 10, 2020
CYA 2020 – Contracts and Insurance to Cover Your Assets, presented at 2020 Chamberlain Hrdlicka Annual Tax and Business Planning Seminar
#gumshoe: An Introduction to Gathering Evidence on the Web, presented at Cybersecurity: What State Prosecutors Need to Know hosted by National Association of Attorneys General, Spring 2011
- Prying Eyes: Protecting the Confidentiality of Defense and Claim Files (03/2017)
- Hail No: Insurer Prejudiced by Insured's Delay in Reporting Storm Damage Claim (05/2016)
- Electricity And Natural Gas In India: An Opportunity For India’s National Oil Companies, 37 HOUS. J. INT’L. L. 893 (06/2015)