Vanderbilt University - BA, English - 2006
Emory University - JD - 2010
Loyola Law School - LLM, Taxation - 2011
Thompson’s estate planning practice focuses on all aspects of complex estate and wealth transfer planning, wealth preservation planning, as well as estate and trust administration. His experience includes:
- Creating and implementing straightforward and advanced estate plans;
- Advising clients on wealth transfer tax issues;
- Business succession planning for family enterprises and other closely-held businesses;
- Forming and advising family offices;
- Educating next generation family members;
- Life insurance planning;
- Creating and advising private foundations; and
- Post-death administration of estates and trusts.
Thompson also brings extensive personal experience with multigenerational estate and family business planning to his practice. Thompson is part of the 5th generation of family ownership of a closely held business in Columbus, Georgia that owns and manages operating companies, legacy stock, a real estate division, and a family farm. Thompson remains intimately involved with his own family’s enterprise, family office, and family foundation, having served on the Next Generation Advisory Board of the family company, as the Chair of the Next Generation Foundation of the family foundation, and on various other family committees within the family enterprise. As a result, Thompson offers his clients a unique perspective into the various issues surrounding estate and family business planning.
Thompson regularly speaks and presents on various estate planning topics, and he teaches estate planning in the mini-MBA program at Kennesaw State University for Next-Gen Family Enterprise Leaders.
Seminars & Presentations
- The Daily Report, November 30, 2018