Tax law remains a core strength of our diversified commercial law practice, with over one-third of our lawyers either practicing primarily or having a strong background in tax law.
Tax law came first at Chamberlain Hrdlicka. Our firm was founded by lawyers who served with distinction as trial lawyers in the Tax Division of the United States Department of Justice and the Internal Revenue Service Office of the Chief Counsel. Our first clients retained us for our expertise in tax law, and our early success as tax lawyers provided the foundation for the growth of our firm.
Tax law remains a core strength of our diversified commercial law practice, with over one-third of our lawyers either practicing primarily or having a strong background in tax law. Many of the lawyers in our tax group have worked with the IRS or Department of Justice Tax Division. Additionally, our tax group includes many lawyers who are board certified in tax law, hold advanced degrees in tax law, are certified public accountants, have clerked at the U.S. Tax Court, or have worked as in-house tax counsel for large multi-national corporations. Our tax lawyers are frequent speakers at continuing education programs throughout the country and internationally, and a number of our lawyers either teach or have taught tax courses at leading law schools.
Our clients include a wide range of public companies, privately held businesses, partnerships and joint ventures, individuals, trusts, estates, and tax-exempt organizations. We advise and represent our clients with respect to all aspects and phases of domestic and international tax planning and tax controversy matters. We routinely guide transactions through the most complex and difficult tax rules. Additionally, many of our lawyers devote all or substantially all of their practice to representing taxpayers in tax controversy matters before the IRS and state taxing authorities, and in the federal and state courts. This gives us first-hand experience with how governmental agencies and the courts interpret and enforce the tax laws, and we apply this unique knowledge to the benefit of all our clients.
Areas of Expertise
- Stewart M. Weintraub discussed new developments in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania tax with organization of certified public accountants
- Former federal tax prosecutor brings deep knowledge of high-stakes IRS audits, tax litigation, white-collar criminal defense, and banking matters
- Bucks County Courier Times, April 17, 2015
- Tax attorneys from Philadelphia law firm update valuable PA tax law resource
- Bloomberg BNA Tax Management Weekly State Tax Report, December 2014
- U.S. News & World Report recognizes Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in practice areas of construction law, employee benefits, immigration law, tax litigation and controversy, and trusts and estates.
- Tax attorney Larry A. Campagna tops roster of eight Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys ranked by Chambers & Partners in its annual guide to country’s top lawyers and firms
- Atlanta Business Chronicle, April 11, 2014
- Tax Court Case Could Be ‘Gateway’ to More Historic Rehabilitation Projects in States Offering Tax Credits, Says PractitionerBloomberg BNA State Tax Blog, February 5, 2014
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Tax and Estate Planning Attorneys Explain Exit Plans, Audit Strategies for CompaniesLawyers from the Philadelphia office of Chamberlain Hrdlicka presented at a seminar discussing strategies for attorneys and accountants who advise business ownersJanuary 2014
- June 2010
- TaxBlawg.net, June 8, 2010
- Philladelphia Inquirer, June 2010
- June 2010
- TaxBlawg.net, May 18, 2010
- Philadelphia Business JournalMarch 15, 2010
- June 2009
- Chambers USA 2009 Rankings Again Place Chamberlain Hrdlicka Among Top Ten National Firms in Tax LitigationJune 2009
- June 2009
- April 2009
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Tax Controversy Alert, January 2009
- June 2008
- June 2008
- June 2007
- May 16, 2007
- Atlanta Business Chronicle, August 11, 2006
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Protects Mississippi Home Healthcare Provider Against $250 Million in IRS SanctionsJuly 11, 2006
- January 2006
- The Taxing Side of Gift-Giving this Holiday SeasonFall 2005
Seminars & Presentations
- Philadelphia tax attorney Philip Karter to present advice on responding to new IRS rules for Information Document Requests (IDRs)Grand Hyatt Atlanta in Buckhead, Atlanta, GA, October 19 to 23, 2015
- Preparing Witnesses - The Good, Bad & UglySan Francisco, CA, May 19, 2015
- The Four Seasons Philadelphia, May 30, 2012
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute - When to Hold Them and When to Fold ThemProtecting Tax Accrual Workpapers and Tax Opinions from the IRS; Disclosing Tax Opinions for Penalty ProtectionPennsylvania Bar Institute, May 29, 2008
- 2007 Houston Annual Tax and Business Planning SeminarGeorge R. Brown Convention Center, November 6, 2007