Our reputation in criminal tax defense helped develop our strengths in white collar crime defense since there is significant overlap in the types of skills needed to successfully defend criminal tax and white collar criminal investigations and prosecutions.
Our team, including decorated former federal prosecutors, have successfully represented clients in such diverse matters as political corruption, ethics matters, financial fraud and federal program fraud.
The potential damage to reputation along with other devastating consequences that can result from white collar crime prosecutions informs Chamberlain Hrdlicka’s aggressive approach to preventing indictments. Our attorneys utilize their knowledge of government investigative technique and procedure to mount the best defense upfront to convince government decision-makers that the case is not worthy of prosecution.
If the case moves forward, our experience has taught us to focus on preparation through exhaustive fact-finding, pursuit of all possible defenses, and creative use of experts. Our no-stone-left-unturned approach means that a client can be assured that Chamberlain Hrdlicka will provide the best possible defense to its case should an indictment occur. Our attorneys also have extensive experience in negotiating highly favorable plea deals based on their thorough knowledge of the United States Federal Sentencing Guidelines, government pre-sentence reports (PSR’s), and other highly material factors that can affect sentencing. Some of our notable accomplishments in white collar crime defense:
- Successfully represented numerous federal and state elected officials in federal, state and local criminal ethics matters.
- Successfully represented a number of city housing authorities in U.S. Housing and Urban Development Inspector General Audits.
- Represented a corporate executive in a state investigation regarding misuse of federal highway funds.
- Represented an attorney in a federal mortgage fraud matter.
- Represented a New Jersey state official in a state investigation involving allegations of fraud.
- Prosecution declined by the Unites States Attorney respecting a national health care equipment supplier after lengthy investigation by multiple Federal agencies.
- Judgment of acquittal granted by the Court in the prosecution of banker for money laundering.
- Road contractor acquitted by jury in a bid rigging case.
- United States Attorney declines prosecution of a mortgage broker in a HUD fraud case.
- Bankruptcy fraud charge dismissed for a plea to a misdemeanor resulting in probation.
Types of White Collar Crime Services:
Campaign Finance and Ethics Violations: Violation of the Federal Election Campaign Act, Hobbs Act, RICO, Federal and State Bribery statues.
Financial Crimes: Mail & wire fraud, conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and RICO violations.
Health Care Fraud: Medicare and/or Medicaid fraud, kickbacks and Stark, billing, insurance fraud
Banking and Financial Fraud: Embezzlement, money laundering, bankruptcy fraud, pension fund fraud, currency manipulation, other antitrust violations.
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Bribery and corrupt practices to obtain foreign or domestic business.
Environmental Fraud: Violations of the Clean Air Act, TNRCC, CERCLA, Solid Waste Disposal Act, and Clean Water Act.
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka senior counsel discusses attorney-client privilege at annual anti-fraud conference
- Stewart M. Weintraub, Kenneth I. Trujillo, Jennifer Weidler Karpchuk recognized among top lawyers in Pennsylvania
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Senior Counsel Presents to Philadelphia Chapter of Association of Certified Fraud ExaminersKevin F. Sweeney discusses attorney-client privilege with anti-fraud organization ACFE
- Complex commercial litigation attorney Matthew S. Olesh leads the nearly 3,000 young lawyers of the Philadelphia Bar AssociationMarch 16, 2017
- Experienced litigator brings deep knowledge of complex commercial litigation as well as dedication to community and civic engagement
- Former federal tax prosecutor brings deep knowledge of high-stakes IRS audits, tax litigation, white-collar criminal defense, and banking matters
- Prominent litigator and former Democratic candidate for Philadelphia mayor moves law practice to Philadelphia office of Chamberlain Hrdlicka
- Government and regulatory affairs lawyer James J. Eisenhower a regular commentator on weekend political show on Philadelphia’s WPVI.
- Experienced government and regulatory affairs lawyer gives advice to professionals who are hoping to spark constitutional change
Seminars & Presentations
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka senior counsel will discuss attorney-client privilege at annual anti-fraud conferenceRamada Plaza Conference Center, 390 Forsgate Drive, Monroe Township, NJ 08831