St. Louis University, B.S., 1952
St. Louis University, J.D., 1957
Listed, The Legal 500 U.S. – Litigation, Tax (2007)
Student Editor, St. Louis University Law Review, 1956-1957
Phi Delta Phi
Alpha Sigma Nu
Order of Woolsack
Board Certified, Tax Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States Court of Federal Claims
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
United States Tax Court
Over the course of an outstanding career spanning more than 50 years, George A. Hrdlicka has drafted hundreds of partnership agreements, covering a wide range of business, investment and personal activities. His practice also includes extensive experience with trial or settlement of tax disputes with the Internal Revenue Service, District Counsel and the Department of Justice Tax Division.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Hrdlicka was a Trial Attorney with the Tax Division of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. Mr. Hrdlicka entered government service in 1957 under the Attorney General's Honors Program and ultimately became the Assistant Chief of one of the trial sections of the Tax Division. In 1965, he left government service to form the partnership of Chamberlain & Hrdlicka in Houston, Texas. Since 1965, Mr. Hrdlicka has continued to practice law as a tax specialist, including federal income and estate tax planning, partnership tax, and the handling of tax controversies both administratively and in the federal courts. During the past 35 years, he has spoken at numerous tax seminars throughout the United States on a variety of tax topics and has presented a review of judicial tax decisions annually at the Annual Tax Institute sponsored by the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants.
- Horton Homes v. United States, 357 F.3d 1209, 11th Cir. 2004. Argued case upholding excise tax exemption for client's vehicles used to transport pre-fabricated homes.
- Served as general tax counsel for automobile dealership that grew from one dealership in Houston, Texas in 1965 to 15 dealerships throughout Texas by 2007.
Seminars & Presentations
- "Judicial Highlights" numerous presentations to the Texas Society of CPAs, 1980-2007
- Conducted tax seminars (on a variety of subjects, including partnership taxation, corporate reorganizations and practice before the Internal Revenue Service) on behalf of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants from 1968 - 1995
- Presentations of tax subjects to Tulane Tax Institute and the University of Texas Tax Institute
- Member, Texas Bar Association
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Tax Section, Houston Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Tax Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Missouri Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center (Partnership Taxation)
- Board of Trustees, Hermann Eye Fund, 1980 to present; Member, Executive Committee, 2000 to present
- Member, Board of Trust Managers, Camden Real Estate Investment Trust, 1994 to 2006; Chairman, Compensation Committee, 2006; Member, Audit Committee, 1998 to 2006
- November 2, 2015
- October 2015
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Named to US News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" 2015 Ranking; Fifteen Attorneys Nationally Ranked in 2015 edition of Best Lawyers®Firm and Attorneys Ranked in Tax, Tax Controversy, Construction, Trust and Estates, Employee Benefits, and Immigration CategoriesNovember 2014
- Nine Attorneys from Four Practice Areas Receive Prestigious RecognitionOctober 2014
- U.S. News & World Report recognizes Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in practice areas of construction law, employee benefits, immigration law, tax litigation and controversy, and trusts and estates.