Webinar: Nuts and Bolts of Taking the Opportunity Zone Plunge
September 5, 2019 from 3:00 - 4:00 PM
Speakers include Thomas Fleming and Brian Lovett of Withum and Phil Karter of Chamberlain Hrdlicka
1 CPE Credit in Taxes
The ability to invest in Qualified Opportunity Zone (‘QOZs”) has been in place for more than 18 months, but guidance from the IRS about how the program works has been slow in coming. With the release in April of a second round of detailed regulations, many questions have now been answered and well-informed investors are finally positioned to take advantage of the significant tax benefits offered by the new law.
Whether you are forming your own Qualified Opportunity Fund (“QOF”) or investing in a QOF run by others, this one-hour seminar will provide you the tools to understand the reporting requirements imposed on QOFs and the and the various safe-harbors on which qualified investors can rely.
From this webinar, attendees will:
- Understand the tax reporting mechanisms for reporting deferred capital gains
- Learn the nuts and bolts requirements to satisfy the semi-annual qualification test
- Identify the distinctions between QOF contributions of cash versus contributions of property and the potential to avoid the related-party problem
- Learn about the treatment of equity interests received in QOFs in exchange for services
- Explore the use of debt to leverage opportunity zone investments
- Consider the effect of depreciation recapture on the exclusion of capital gains.
- Learn what constitutes a qualifying business in an Opportunity Zone
- Explore how states might deal with federal opportunity zone tax benefits
- Be sensitized to the important provisions to look out for in the Operating Agreement for a QOF partnership/LLC.