Southeast Missouri State Univeristy, B.S., 1974; M.A., 1976
St. Mary's University, J.D., 1981
St. Mary’s University, Law Review
Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2020
Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law
Jim Berry maintains a general real estate practice with a particular emphasis on commercial real estate. He is experienced in all aspects of acquisitions, dispositions, finance, development, leasing and management of real property.
Mr. Berry has represented a range of clients including physicians, architects and professional service providers, as well as larger institutional clients acquiring and selling multiple business locations. Jim also has extensive commercial leasing experience, representing both landlords and tenants.
Mr. Berry’s representation frequently extends to serving as general business counsel, providing advice and assistance regarding the broader scope of business legal concerns, including supervising outside counsel. Additionally, Mr. Berry has extensive experience in the representation of automobile dealerships, including both the acquisition and disposition of dealerships.
Mr. Berry served previously as General Counsel for the Houston Golf Association. He provided counsel for the Board of Directors and the professional staff of the charitable organization that manages the Junior Golf and First Tee programs, and the Houston PGA TOUR event. He has successfully negotiated and completed sports related contracts with vendors, the tournament sponsor, the tournament venue owner and the PGA TOUR. He is the past Chairman of the Board of the Houston Golf Association.
Seminars & Presentations
- "Proposed Houston Zoning Ordinance,” Chamberlain Tax Forum
- General Counsel, Houston Golf Association, 2000-2010, 2014-2017.
- Chairman of the Board, Houston Golf Association, 2010-2012.
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Record Number of Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News 2020 Best Lawyers in America® and Four Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 15, 2019
- The Houston Lawyer, Vol. 49, Number 3, November-December 2011, November 2011
- Houston Golf Association Newsletter, June 2008
- Property Division Case Note, St. Mary's University Law Journal, Vol. 13, No. 2, 1981
- "Choose the Best Business Entity to Purchase and Hold Real Estate," Houston Business Journal, January 23, 2004