We understand real estate, and we know what it takes to help you move a development from concept to reality.
Real estate law involves a distinct set of challenges and time frames. Our real estate practice matches our legal skills with clients’ need for fast, cost-effective assistance.
The typical developer may have access to many resources, but one element is always lacking -- Time. When developers need the assistance of a lawyer, they require prompt attention, flawless execution, and decisive counsel. We understand real estate, and we know what it takes to help you move a development from concept to reality.
With two of our offices in Houston and Atlanta, Chamberlain Hrdlicka is ideally positioned to serve clients with real estate assets or developments throughout the South and Southwest. We know that developers and portfolio managers do not need a lawyer who is an impediment; they want a lawyer who will listen and help them find ways to achieve their goals. We understand the distinction, and we work to make things happen.
What Do You Want To Develop Today?
Name your project: apartment complex, shopping center, resort development, office building, industrial facilities, medical facilities, residential subdivisions, movie theaters, fast food franchise sites. If it involves real estate, we can help you be off and running with speed and efficiency. Rather than shunting work to junior associates, our practice is built around senior lawyers who have strong real estate backgrounds and who can become part of your development team. Our skill pays off in strategies and actions that are targeted to meet your goals. When the inevitable obstacle arises, we know how to keep it from becoming a deal-breaker. Clients can turn to us with a challenge and be confident we will respond with solutions that merit attention, consideration, and action.
Working on concert with our construction group we assist owners in the pre-construction phase of a project with preparing and reviewing requests for proposals and contracts in the selection and engagement of owner’s representatives, designers, and contractors for all types of construction delivery methods. We also advise clients during the construction and close-out phases on common conflict issues, such as: change orders, scope of work disputes, delays, defective design/work, labor disputes, accidents, payment disputes and lien removals.
The only certainty in today’s real estate market is that tomorrow’s cycle is heading in this direction. We are skilled in workouts and foreclosures, and know how to secure the best returns for troubled developments. We are adept at responding to all market conditions -- robust or reeling -- with the service our clients require.
A Resource For In-House Counsel
Real estate can be more than an asset to a corporation -- sometimes it can also be a headache. We work with a number of in-house counsels, helping them with the complex real estate issues they do not customarily see in their corporate practice. Our background in tax-related issues is an asset that can help identify the proper way to book transactions, finance and structure acquisitions or dispose of property.
Knowing The Questions, Having The Answers
Risk is an inherent part of all real estate projects – and the last thing a developer or portfolio manager needs is a problem cropping up at an inopportune time. We manage our real estate practice with a "big picture" view, and we are always looking ahead for elements that could delay or detour a project. Adding us to your development team will provide an important asset that extends beyond deal-making abilities and transactional expertise. We are risk managers who can maximize the opportunities for success in every phase of a development.
Areas of Expertise
Development, Financing, Purchase, Leasing, and Disposition of:
- For Sale and For Rent Multi-Family Projects
- Shopping Centers
- Office Buildings
- Manufacturing Facilities
- Resort Developments
- Land for Development
- Corporate Real Estate and Assets
Negotiation and Drafting of Real Estate Contracts, Leases, Complex and Reciprocal Easement Agreements, Joint Venture Agreements, Construction and Design Contracts including:
- Title and Survey Review and Curative Actions
- Closing Agreements and Documentation
- Structuring and Documenting Safe-Harbor and Non-Safe-Harbor §1031 Forward, Reverse and Reverse Construction Exchange Transactions
- Advice to Documentation to Protect Environmentally Sensitive and Significant Properties through Conservation Easements and Mitigation Bank Transactions
- Advice to In-House Counsel on Complex Real Estate Issues
- Workouts and Foreclosures
- Eminent Domain and Condemnation
- Represent closely-held owner in development and implementation of “competitive bid” marketing plan to expose highly sought after multi-property in-fill assemblage to national multi-family REIT developer market and in the documenting and closing of sale to national apartment REIT.
- Represent owner of historically significant undeveloped 76 acre tract in North Atlanta in connection with competitive bid marketing, rezoning, and disposition process.
- Represented Church in negotiations with and sale to the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, City of Atlanta and Atlanta Falcons of the Church property required for Falcons New Stadium.
- Represented large land owner in the sale of 288 acres to a joint venture developing USA based movie and TV sound stages for Pinewood Studios, of London, England.
- Represent closely held owner of grocery-anchored shopping center in the Buckhead area of Atlanta to engage national retail brokerage firm and market in “competitive bid” process to national REIT buyers and to close transaction within highly accelerated timeframe.
- Represent founder of multi-state restaurant franchisor in the sale of the company to a private-equity firm, which included the transfer of over 200 owned or leased multi-state restaurant locations.
- Represent developer/owner in disposition of six-property multi-family portfolio located throughout the greater Atlanta area.
- Real estate counsel working with tax counsel representing multi-state owner of apartment projects to resolve title and ownership status in dispute with IRS over income tax claims.
- Assist general counsel of national corporation with disposition of company headquarters building and a “built to suit” project with national office developer to build a new headquarters building in a reverse construction exchange under Section 1031.
- Represented land owner in annexation and master rezoning by City of Fayetteville.
- With condemnation counsel closed motel refinancing midstream in condemnation litigation value impairment dispute of lender’s collateral.
- Serve as counsel to purchaser of a 230 room hotel to be constructed by seller within a master mixed-use condominium comprised of retail, residential and hotel components located in Allen Plaza, a major new downtown Atlanta complex near Olympic Park.
- Counsel to development joint venture that has acquired an 80 acre tract assemblage from 12 different landowners for development as a 500,000 square foot outdoor retail mall, with concurrent sell off of building sites to J.C. Penney and Kohl's with client completing all horizontal and vertical development.
- Represent owner of in-fill shopping center in a forward Section 1031 tax deferred exchange transaction to facilitate redevelopment, expansion and upgrade with new national health foods grocery store, subsurface parking deck and other high-end tenant space.
- Represent developer of a 1,000 acre North Georgia mountain resort project located on the Chestatee River which included an 18 hole Jack Nicklaus designed golf course in the acquisition, development, financing and ultimate sale of the project.
- Facilitated client's acquisition, rezoning and development of highly sensitive 165 acre tract on the Chattahoochee River into a high end "cluster" residential development designed to maximize green space and limit development impact through utilization of conservation easements and other design and planning techniques.
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka, led by Habeeb "Hobbs" Gnaim, Represented The Tarp Depot, Inc. in its Sale to Impact Environmental Group, a Portfolio Company of Aurora Capital PartnersHabeeb "Hobbs" Gnaim led team Represented The Tarp Depot, Inc. in its Sale to Impact Environmental GroupSeptember 28, 2023
- Three Transactions led by Habeeb (Hobbs) Gnaim named Finalists of the 22nd Annual M&A Advisor Awards in Seven Categories22nd Annual M&A Advisor Awards Names three transactions led by Habeeb (Hobbs) Gnaim as Finalists in Seven CategoriesSeptember 7, 2023
- Best Lawyers in America® recognizes 87 Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in a peer selection process for the 2024 edition of Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 17, 2023
- Houston Business Journal – Chamberlain Hrdlicka plans $6M update at Allen Center headquarters to accommodate growthChamberlain Hrdlicka’s continued growth in Texas drives strategic office renovations in Houston and San AntonioAugust 4, 2023
- Phil Karter, Ken Trujillo and Stewart Weintraub named 2023 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Jennifer Karpchuk named 2023 Rising StarMay 19, 2023
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka’s Tax Planning & Business Transactions Group Represented Whitefield Plastics Corporation in its Sale to Mearthane Products CorporationTeam led by Habeeb (Hobbs) Gnaim represented Whitefield Plastics Corporation in its sale to Mearthane Products CorporationMay 8, 2023
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka’s Client Deal Wins 2023 ACG Houston Deal of the Year Award in Industrial Services – Corporate Strategic Acquisition CategoryClient Deal led by Habeeb ‘Hobbs’ Gnaim Wins ACG Houston Deal of the Year Award in Industrial Services – Corporate Strategic Acquisition CategoryApril 26, 2023
- David Aughtry, Stephanie Friese Aron, Sandy Bradford, Seth Price, Hale Sheppard, Erica Opitz, Patrick McCann, Jr., John Kirbo, John Guin, and Chadd Reynolds named as Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising StarsFebruary 9, 2023
- Georgia Titan 100 Honors Stephanie FrieseJanuary 12, 2023
- Houstonia names 30 Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys as 2022 Top LawyersNovember 30, 2022
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka enhances its US News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" Rankings with the 2023 Edition2023 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" ranks Chamberlain HrdlickaNovember 3, 2022
- Houston Business Journal’s 2022 Best Places to Work includes Chamberlain Hrdlicka in Top 10November 1, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America® recognizes 72 Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in a peer selection process for the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 18, 2022
- Five Chamberlain Hrdlicka Practices included as Top 3 and Top 5 for Houston Chronicle’s 2022 Best of the Best AwardsJuly 19, 2022
- Phil Karter, Ken Trujillo and Stewart Weintraub named 2022 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Jennifer Karpchuk named 2022 Rising StarMay 24, 2022
- Chadd Reynolds and Katie Fish among Chamberlain Hrdlicka Recruits in GeorgiaLaw 360, May 24, 2022
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Continues Expansion in Atlanta Office with Additions to Commercial Litigation, Construction and Real Estate PracticesKatie Fish and Chadd Reynolds join Chamberlain Hrdlicka Atlanta OfficeMay 19, 2022
- Stephanie Friese quoted in “Amid Rise In Shootings, Retail Landlords Increasingly Look To Evict Problem Tenants”Bisnow Atlanta, March 9, 2022
- David Aughtry, Stephanie Friese Aron, Seth Price, Hale Sheppard, Erica Opitz, John Kirbo, John Guin, and Barclay Taylor named as Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising StarsFebruary 15, 2022
- Stephanie Friese quoted in article on "Associate Burnout Concerns Increasing and Law Firms Seek Solutions"Daily Report, February 10, 2022
- Quote by Stephanie Friese on “Associate Pay In Atlanta Hits NYC Levels As Demand Heats Up”Law360, December 3, 2021
- Stephanie Friese Aron named as new Real Estate Practice ChairLaw360, December 1, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka increases and enhances listings in 2022 US News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" RankingsNovember 4, 2021
- Stephanie Friese named National Chair of Chamberlain Hrdlicka Real Estate PracticeOctober 25, 2021
- John Coughlin joins Chamberlain HrdlickaSeptember 29, 2021
- Interview with Stephanie Friese on “How I Made Office Co-Managing Partner: 'I Traveled a Very Unconventional Path, Never Having Been an Associate at Any Firm”September 21, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America® selects 54 Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys for Recognition for 2022August 19, 2021
- Article about Stephanie Friese and Scott Augustine on “Chamberlain Hrdlicka Elevates 2 Attys To Lead Atlanta Office”Law360, July 1, 2021
- Stephanie Friese Aron and Scott Augustine named Co-Managing Shareholders in Atlanta OfficeJune 28, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys are ranked in Appellate, Commercial Litigation, Construction, Corporate, Criminal Defense, Employee Benefits, Energy, Immigration, Insurance, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, Real Estate, Tax, and Trust & EJune 22, 2021
- 14 Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named in 2021 “Women in the Law” Business Edition of Best Lawyers in AmericaBest Lawyers in America names Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in "Women in the Law" for 2021June 7, 2021
- Super Lawyers names Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys as 2021 Georgia Super Lawyers and Rising StarsFebruary 12, 2021
- Quote by Stephanie Friese in “What Mom-And-Pop Landlords Can Do To Relieve Eviction Ban Pressure”Forbes Advisor, February 12, 2021
- Georgia Trend names Chamberlain Shareholders as 2020 "Legal Elite"Georgia Trend, December 1, 2020
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka continues to enhance its US News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" Rankings in 2021November 5, 2020
- August 10, 2020
- Georgia Legislature Passes Bill to Protect Businesses and Healthcare Providers From COVID-19 LawsuitsReal Estate Update - Georgia Legislature Passes Bill to Protect Businesses and Healthcare Providers From COVID-19 LawsuitsAugust 7, 2020
- April 30, 2020
- Kyle Winnick quoted in “California's paid coronavirus sick leave requirement targets big chains”Restaurant Dive, April 28, 2020
- Stephanie Friese quoted in "Metro Atlanta retail space demand could plummet, impact 'catastrophic'"Atlanta Business Chronicle, April 22, 2020
- Stephanie Friese quoted in "With rents past due, commercial tenants look to avoid eviction"Atlanta Journal-Constitution, April 10, 2020
- 2020 Georgia Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Named at Chamberlain HrdlickaMarch 4, 2020
- February 13, 2020
- US News, November 2019
- Record Number of Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News 2020 Best Lawyers in America® and Four Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 15, 2019
- “Comparing 1031 Exchanges to Opportunity Zones (1031 v. 1400z-1 and 1400z-2)” by Stephanie Friese and Christopher Steele published by Georgia Society of CPAsAugust 12, 2019
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Daily Report, June 19, 2019
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution, April 14, 2019
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution, March 10, 2019
- CoStar, March 5, 2019
- March 1, 2019
- February 7, 2019
- Stewart M. Weintraub Named 2017 AV Top-Rated Lawyer in Real Estate Law by Martindale-Hubbell and ALMChamberlain Hrdlicka state and local tax (SALT) practice chair recognized in special section in American Lawyer, Corporate Counsel and National Law Journal
- Stewart M. Weintraub and Kenneth I. Trujillo recognized among top lawyers in Pennsylvania
- Stewart M. Weintraub and Kenneth I. Trujillo recognized among top lawyers in Pennsylvania
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka state and local tax (SALT) practice chair was the overall chair of the annual ABA/IPT Advanced Tax Seminars
- GlobeSt.com, August 2015
Seminars & Presentations
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Brownsville Tax and International Business Planning Seminar at the Rancho Viejo Resort & Country Club on May 25, 2023May 25, 2023
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka will host Laredo Tax and Business Planning Seminar at the Laredo Country Club on November 8, 2022November 8, 2022
- In-Person & Virtual - Chamberlain Hrdlicka 5th Annual San Antonio Tax and Business Planning Seminar - November 3, 2022Chamberlain Hrdlicka will have our 5th Annual San Antonio Tax and Business Planning Seminar at The St. Anthony Hotel on November 3, 2022November 3, 2022
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Webinar on Top Legal Traps for Opening Up Your Business in a Pandemic - June 3, 2020 from 2:00-4:00 p.m. CDTFree Webinar on Top Legal Traps for Opening Up Your Business in a PandemicOnline Webinar, June 3, 2020
- Opportunities v. Exchanges - Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe ...Cobb Galleria, 2 Galleria Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30339, July 10, 2019
- Christine Norstadt’s article, “Investing in Industrial Outdoor Storage?” in Business FacilitiesBusiness Facilities, July 1, 2023
- Stephanie Friese’s article, “Avoid the White Flag by Negotiating Surrender Provisions in Commercial Leases,” in the Daily ReportMarch 2, 2023
- Stephanie Friese’s article, “Business Development: Strategies to Inspire Trust and Confidence in Key Relationships,” in the Daily ReportDaily Report, February 22, 2023
- Stewart Weintraub's article "Being a New Partner: Techniques for Developing a Client Base" in The Legal IntelligencerThe Legal Intelligencer, February 3, 2023
- Stephanie Friese's article "Business Development: Three Strategies More Important Than the Elevator Speech" in Daily ReportDaily Report, December 22, 2022
- Christine Norstadt and Katie Fish’s article on “Five Topics to Consider When Negotiating Default Provisions in a Purchase and Sale Agreement” in the Daily ReportDaily Report, December 21, 2022
- Stephanie Friese’s article, “Effective Client Communication: Be the Best Lawyer and Make Sure Clients Know It”Daily Report, August 10, 2022
- Stephanie Friese article on "5 Tips for Negotiating Insurance Provisions in Commercial Leases"Commercial Property Executive, May 18, 2022
- Stephanie Friese article on “Professional Development: The Missing Link in Attaining Career Satisfaction”Daily Report, May 3, 2022
- Stephanie Friese and Will Janousek article on “Industrial Lease Trends to Consider in 2022"Commercial Property Executive, March 18, 2022
- Stewart Weintraub article on "The New Workplace World"The Legal Intelligencer, February 3, 2022
- Stephanie Friese article on "Is the Grass Really Greener? Interview Tips/Techniques to Learn More During the Interview Process"Daily Report, February 2, 2022
- Article by Stephanie Friese and Jennifer Garner on “CDC Moratorium Creates a Legal Labyrinth”The Daily Report, March 25, 2021
- Article by Phil Karter and Stewart Weintraub on “Thinking of Changing Firms? Here Are Some Questions to Ask at the Interview”Legal Intelligencer, February 5, 2021
- Article by Stephanie Friese and Jennifer Garner on “Eviction Moratorium Extension: What it Means for Your Business”Multi-Housing News, February 4, 2021
- “After Surprise Appeals Court Ruling, Governor Signs Bill Restoring Builders' View of Contractors' Liens”Article by Stephanie Friese and Gina Vitiello on “After Surprise Appeals Court Ruling, Governor Signs Bill Restoring Builders' View of Contractors' Liens”The Daily Report, September 24, 2020
- Article by Stephanie Friese, Christine Norstadt and Jennifer Garner on “Some Guidelines on Rent Relief and Lease Obligations”National Real Estate Investor, May 14, 2020
- Article by Stephanie Friese and Jennifer Garner on "A WeWork Agreement is Not a Lease, and Why This Matters Now"GlobeSt.com/Real Estate Forum, May 11, 2020
- Article by Stephanie Friese on "A Quick-Response Guide for Commercial Landlords During the COVID-19 Crisis"CREW Atlanta Blog, April 29, 2020
- Article by Stephanie Friese and Jennifer Garner on “Landlord/Tenant Disputes During COVID-19: Who Has the Upper Hand?”Connect CRE, April 28, 2020
- Article by Stewart Weintraub on "The COVID-19 Challenge and How It Is Affecting Businesses, Individuals"Legal Intelligencer, April 21, 2020
- SALT Blog - SALT Blawg, July 19, 2023
- Georgia Legislature Passes Bill to Protect Businesses and Healthcare Providers From COVID-19 LawsuitsBusiness and International Tax Blog, August 7, 2020