University of Texas, B.B.A., 1975
University of Texas, School of Law, J.D. with honors, 1979
Board Certified Tax Law, 1984
Listed, Best Lawyers in America, 2021-2024
Barry Adkins is a shareholder in the tax planning and business transactions section. His practice involves advising private companies and their owners regarding general business planning, including asset protection, succession planning and compensation planning, as well as entity organization and governance. Barry has extensive experience representing professional service firms with an emphasis on healthcare, including structuring issues, joint venture arrangements, compensation planning, buy-in arrangements with new owners, business divorce and Stark and Anti-Kickback compliance.
Barry’s tax practice is focused on general transactional planning, with an emphasis on joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, investment transactions, and choice of entity considerations. He has extensive experience in S corporation and partnership tax issues, including partnership formations and restructuring.
Barry’s transactional practice involves counseling private companies and their owners in a wide range of transaction matters, including mergers and acquisitions, sale transactions, joint venture formation, as well as buy-sell agreements, employment agreements and equity compensation planning.
In recent years, Barry has been involved extensively involved with corporate transactions. He has been the lead counsel on numerous transactions involving stock sales, asset sales and merger transactions, representing Sellers across a wide range of industries, including industrial services, steel fabrication, valve lubricants and maintenance, oil and gas development, software services, wholesale grocery supply, warehouse supplies and railcar management. Multiple transactions were with private equity firms where extensive due diligence is involved (particularly financial matters). Seller entities have included S corporations, limited liability companies and limited partnerships. In addition, he has provided tax analysis and structuring advice on numerous other private equity deals from both the Seller’s and Buyer’s side.
Seminars and Presentations
Barry Adkins is a frequent speaker on a variety of corporate, partnership and individual tax planning matters.
- Best Lawyers in America® recognizes 87 Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in a peer selection process for the 2024 edition of Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 17, 2023
- Best Lawyers in America® recognizes 72 Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in a peer selection process for the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 18, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America® selects 54 Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys for Recognition for 2022August 19, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys are ranked in Appellate, Commercial Litigation, Construction, Corporate, Criminal Defense, Employee Benefits, Energy, Immigration, Insurance, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, Real Estate, Tax, and Trust & EJune 22, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News – 2021 Best Lawyers in America®, Three Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 20, 2020
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Tax Alert - Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loan Forgiveness Tax IssuesMay 21, 2020