Stony Brook University (N.Y.), B.S., 1972
Brooklyn Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1978
Named, Best Lawyers in America in Litigation and Controversy – Tax (2012-2024)
Recipient, 1979 and 1983 Outstanding Service as Tax Division Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Larry Sherlock is a tax attorney in the Tax Controversy Section of Chamberlain Hrdlicka in Houston.
In more than 30 years of practice, Larry has achieved success both at the Tax Division of the Justice Department and at Chamberlain Hrdlicka. He has a record of more than 40 cases tried to completion before judges and juries.
His practice focuses on negotiating and litigating federal tax disputes, including disputes arising out of income tax audits, estate and gift tax valuation questions and criminal investigations.
Larry counsels a wide variety of clients, including individuals, small businesses and large Fortune 500 companies.
Most recently, Larry has handled matters that resulted in favorable outcomes at IRS appeals and in court related to complex income tax questions and IRS challenges to estate tax valuations of family limited partnerships.
- Represented a large car dealership at trial in the Tax Court and reduced a $540,000 tax deficiency to $-0- by proving that assets sold at a loss were inventory rather than capital assets.
- Represented an investment partnership at trial in the Tax Court after the IRS disallowed all but $150,000 of a $2,700,000 charitable contribution; proved that the contributed property was worth more than 8 times the value placed on it by the IRS agent and more than 4 times the higher value determined by the IRS expert witness.
- Represented several family limited partnerships in estate and gift tax examinations at the audit, Appeals and trial levels and obtained valuation discounts for the assets of the partnerships ranging up to 60%.
- Represented a major financial company in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals after the Tax Court approved the IRS's imposition of a 20% negligence penalty on a substantial tax deficiency; the Fifth Circuit reversed the penalty in full.
- Persuaded IRS special agents in several cases to terminate criminal investigations after showing that no criminal intent was involved in mistakenly reported items on tax returns; and in other cases persuaded lawyers at the U.S. Department of Justice to reject prosecution of cases after the IRS made recommendations to the Justice Department to seek indictment of the client.
- In three cases, including one involving a debtor in bankruptcy, proved in court that net operating losses incurred by clients could be carried back to reduce tax deficiencies in the face of IRS assertions that the losses had to be carried forward.
- In two cases, won court-ordered awards of attorneys' fees for clients after the IRS conceded the tax deficiencies just before trial; one case involved allegations of civil fraud penalties and the other involved the disallowance of $6 million in deductions.
Outside Courses and Seminars:
- Attorney General's Advocacy Institute – U.S. Department of Justice (1983)
- Strategies for Effective Negotiations with IRS - Texas Society of CPAs (1991)
- "When Your Client Can't Pay: IRS Collection Alternatives" – Advanced Tax Law Course, State Bar of Texas (2002)
- "Federal Tax Issues in Bankruptcy" – Houston Tax Expo, Texas Society of CPAs (2000 and 2002)
Speeches at Chamberlain Hrdlicka Annual Tax and Business Planning Seminar:
- "The CPA as an Effective Expert Witness" – (1991)
- "Ethical Considerations for Lawyers and CPAs When Clients Have Tax Problems" – (1994)
- "Recent Developments in IRS Offers in Compromise" – (1995)
- "Marriage, Divorce and Taxes" – (1996)
- "Tax Collection in the Era of Customer Service: The IRS Restructuring Act" – 1999
- "IRS Collection Alternatives" – (2002)
- "IRS Audit Issues for the Small Business" – (2004)
- "Trying the FLP Case: Going to Court with Your Family Limited Partnership" – (2005)
- "Closing the Exam and Preparing for IRS Appeals" - (2009)
- "Estate and Gift Controversy Issues" - (2014)
Speeches at Chamberlain Hrdlicka Large Case Tax Audit Seminars:
- "Choice of Forum and Attacking Treasury Regulations in Tax Litigation" – (1991)
- "Strategies for Settling and Litigating Multi-Year Tax Issues" – (1993)
Speeches at Chamberlain Hrdlicka Monthly Tax Forums for CPAs:
- "Solicitation of Clients by Tax Professionals" – (1993)
- "Awards of Attorneys' Fees under I.R.C. § 7430" – (1994)
- "Tax Aspects of Divorce" – (1995)
- "Recent Changes to Tax Practice and Procedure" – (1998)
- "Valuation Discounts: Resisting the IRS on the ‘Fair Market Value’ Front" – (1999)
- "Recent Tax Court Decisions on Family Limited Partnerships" – (2001)
- "Federal Tax Issues in Bankruptcy" – (2002)
- "Tax Update on the Bankruptcy Reform Act" – (2006)
- "Deductions for Claims Against the Estate: New 2053 Regulations" - (2010)
- "IRS and Treasury Wheel Out the Big Regulatory Guns" - (2011)
- "New Partnership Tax Audit Rules" - (2016)
- "New IRS Voluntary Disclosure Practice: Domestic Criminal Violations, Foreign Accounts and Cryptocurrency" - (2019)
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section
- Houston Bar Association, Tax Section
- Best Lawyers in America® recognizes 87 Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in a peer selection process for the 2024 edition of Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 17, 2023
- Legal 500 ranks David Aughtry and Larry Campagna in its Hall of Fame, Jaime Vasquez and Juan Vasquez Jr rank as Leading Lawyers in US: Tax Contentious CategoryJune 12, 2023
- Best Lawyers in America® recognizes 72 Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in a peer selection process for the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 18, 2022
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Ranks in Top Ranked Legal for Tax and ImmigrationJuly 19, 2022
- Legal 500 rankings for Chamberlain Hrdlicka as a Top Tax Law Firm and Adds to Individual Ranks in 2022June 17, 2022
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals Affirms Judgment Entered in Landmark Decision: Federal Tax on Crude Oil Exports UnconstitutionalChamberlain Hrdlicka represents client in 5th Circuit Court of Appeals decision finding federal tax on crude oil exports is unconstitutionalMarch 25, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America® selects 54 Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys for Recognition for 2022August 19, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys are ranked in Appellate, Commercial Litigation, Construction, Corporate, Criminal Defense, Employee Benefits, Energy, Immigration, Insurance, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, Real Estate, Tax, and Trust & EJune 22, 2021
- Legal 500 Firm and Individual Rankings Improve at Chamberlain Hrdlicka for 2021June 21, 2021
- Final Judgment Entered in Landmark Decision: Federal Tax on Crude Oil Exports Unconstitutional, Court orders $4.2 Million Tax Refund/InterestCourt orders $4.2 Million Tax Refund and Statutory Interest in Landmark DecisionJanuary 11, 2021
- Virtual This Year! Chamberlain Hrdlicka Virtual Annual Tax and Business Planning Seminar is November 10-12, 2020November 10, 2020
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka team works on landmark case involving federal tax on crude oil exportsSeptember 24, 2020
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News – 2021 Best Lawyers in America®, Three Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 20, 2020
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Tax Alert - Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loan Forgiveness Tax IssuesMay 21, 2020
- Chamberlain Tax Planning Update - Tax Relief From The COVID-19 Pandemic - April 8, 2020April 8, 2020
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka to Host 42nd Annual Houston Tax and Business Planning Seminar on October 30th at Norris Conference Center at City CentreOctober 30, 2019
- Record Number of Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News 2020 Best Lawyers in America® and Four Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 15, 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka again named a "Best Law Firm" by US NewsNovember 1, 2018
- Peer Ranked in Construction, Eminent Domain, Employee Benefits (ERISA), Government Relations, Immigration, Litigation - Construction, Litigation - Trusts & Estates, Tax, Tax Litigation & Controversy, Trademark, Trusts & EstatesSeptember 18, 2018
- National law firm achieves top rankings in tax law, tax litigation and trust and estates law
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Ranked in Construction, Litigation – Construction, Eminent Domain & Condemnation, Employee Benefits (ERISA), Government Relations, Immigration, Tax, Litigation and Controversy - Tax, and Trust & Estates CategoriesAugust 2017
- Attorneys Ranked in Tax, Construction, Trust and Estates, Employee Benefits and Immigration CategoriesJune 22, 2017
- November 2, 2015
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Named to US News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" 2015 Ranking; Fifteen Attorneys Nationally Ranked in 2015 edition of Best Lawyers®Firm and Attorneys Ranked in Tax, Tax Controversy, Construction, Trust and Estates, Employee Benefits, and Immigration CategoriesNovember 2014
Seminars & Presentations
- November 10, 2020
- Norris Conference Center at City Centre, October 30, 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka West Houston Tax Forum on September 25 at Marriott WestchaseHouston Marriott Westchase, 2900 Briarpark Dr., Houston, Texas 77042, September 25, 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka September 19, 2019 West Loop (Galleria) Tax Forum - HoustonianThe Houstonian - 111 North Post Oak Lane, September 19, 2019
- “Deadline for IRS Voluntary Compliance Initiative,” “Banking and Finance” column, Houston Business Journal, March 7, 2003
- “Bankruptcy: Blessing or Curse,” “Taxing Matters” column, DBAHouston, July 1995