University of Illinois, B.A., 1966
University of Texas, J.D., 1969
Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2010-present
Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 1993-present
Designated a "Texas Super Lawyer," 2003-present
Named a "Top Lawyer," Houstonia Magazine 2019-present
District Courts: Southern and Western Districts of Texas
Courts of Appeals: 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, & DC Circuits
U.S. Supreme Court
Peter Williamson possesses considerable experience handling the entire spectrum of immigration and nationality matters, from employment-based non-immigrant and immigrant, to investor cases, labor certifications and family-based cases. He has represented families and companies in all parts of the United States and over 100 countries, in all aspects of immigration, and has developed particular experience in appellate matters and removal cases. He is board certified in immigration law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Mr. Williamson handles employment cases including E, H, L, O nonimmigrant cases; labor certifications; visa petitions, consular work; family-based matters such as visa petitions and adjustment of status; consular work; naturalizations; and defense of removal (deportation) cases.
Mr. Williamson is active in the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) (www.aila.org), an association whose membership consists of over 14,000 attorneys who practice in this field of law. He has served as chair of the Texas chapter of AILA, on the National Board of Governors (1982-present), and on the national executive committee, including service as the national president of AILA. Mr. Williamson is also a founding member of IMMLAW (www.immlaw.com), a national consortium of immigration law firms whose members practice autonomously, but share their knowledge and expertise and exchange ideas and information in emerging areas so that their clients can benefit from the most innovative, highly sophisticated techniques. He serves on the examination committee for the Immigration law specialization exam given by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Worked with criminal defense counsel in an employer sanctions prosecution, in which counsel helped convince the federal district court to grant an 88% reduction in the amount of the total fine imposed from that recommended by the United States Attorney and by the federal sentencing guidelines. (January, 2008)
- Brought successful court challenges to long-delayed naturalization case.
Seminars & Presentations
- Mr. Williamson frequently speaks on immigration-related topics at university and bar association seminars on topics including ethics, criminal law aspects, employer sanctions, defense of removal, visa petitions and numerous other subjects. He has appeared as a featured speaker or panelist at numerous seminars throughout Texas, and across the United States as well as Mexico, Canada, the Dominican Republic, England, and Republic of the Philippines.
- Former National President, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Member, University of Houston Immigration Law Clinic advisory board
- Member, College of the State Bar of Texas
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Houstonia names Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys as 2021-2022 Top LawyersHoustonia, December 1, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America® selects 54 Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys for Recognition for 2022August 19, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys are ranked in Appellate, Commercial Litigation, Construction, Corporate, Criminal Defense, Employee Benefits, Energy, Immigration, Insurance, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, Real Estate, Tax, and Trust & EJune 22, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka enhances Practice and Individual Rankings in Chambers & Partners 2021 USA GuideChambers & Partners 2021 List for Chamberlain Hrdlicka Practice and Individual RankingsJune 3, 2021
- Immigration Practice launches Immigration BlogMarch 19, 2021
- Houstonia Magazine names Chamberlain Attorneys as 2021 Top LawyersHoustonia Magazine, November 30, 2020
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News – 2021 Best Lawyers in America®, Three Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 20, 2020
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka continues to be recognized with Practice and Individual Rankings by Chambers & PartnersChambers Individual and Practice Rankings for 2020May 4, 2020
- December 2019
- Record Number of Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News 2020 Best Lawyers in America® and Four Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 15, 2019
- May 10, 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka again named a "Best Law Firm" by US NewsNovember 1, 2018
- Peer Ranked in Construction, Eminent Domain, Employee Benefits (ERISA), Government Relations, Immigration, Litigation - Construction, Litigation - Trusts & Estates, Tax, Tax Litigation & Controversy, Trademark, Trusts & EstatesSeptember 18, 2018
- May 5, 2018
- National law firm achieves top rankings in tax law, tax litigation and trust and estates law
- September 2017
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Ranked in Construction, Litigation – Construction, Eminent Domain & Condemnation, Employee Benefits (ERISA), Government Relations, Immigration, Tax, Litigation and Controversy - Tax, and Trust & Estates CategoriesAugust 2017
- Attorneys Ranked in Tax, Construction, Trust and Estates, Employee Benefits and Immigration CategoriesJune 22, 2017
- Firm and seven attorneys rank on state and national levels in tax and immigration categoriesMay 2016
- November 2, 2015
- October 2015
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka again recognized nationally in The Legal 500 and Chambers & PartnersJune 2015
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Named to US News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" 2015 Ranking; Fifteen Attorneys Nationally Ranked in 2015 edition of Best Lawyers®Firm and Attorneys Ranked in Tax, Tax Controversy, Construction, Trust and Estates, Employee Benefits, and Immigration CategoriesNovember 2014
- Nine Attorneys from Four Practice Areas Receive Prestigious RecognitionOctober 2014
Seminars & Presentations
- Mr. Williamson frequently speaks on immigration-related topics at university and bar association seminars on topics including ethics, criminal law aspects, employer sanctions, defense of removal, visa petitions and numerous other subjects.
- He has appeared as a featured speaker or panelist at numerous seminars throughout Texas, and across the United States as well as Mexico, Canada, the Dominican Republic, England, and Republic of the Philippines.
- Immigration Blog, March 19, 2021