Mercer University School of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2010; Chair, Moot Court, Mock Trial and Advocacy Counsel 2009-10; Advanced Legal Writing Certificate; Academic Scholarship Recipient; Order of the Barristers; James C. Estes Excellency in Oral Advocacy Recipient
Berry College, Bachelors of Science in Biology, Minor in Chemistry, cum laude, 2005
James C. Estes award for excellence in oral advocacy and leadership skills
National Order of the Barristers
President, Mercer Advocacy Council
Georgia Court of Appeals
Northern District of Georgia
Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Joan McCallum is an associate in the firm’s Atlanta office in the Corporate, Securities and Finance Practice group. Ms. McCallum’s practice focuses on general corporate counseling and compliance, corporate governance, securities offerings, complex business transactions including strategic acquisitions, divestitures and mergers, and representing borrowers and lenders in commercial loan transactions. Ms. McCallum has represented clients in various industries including the moving and storage, chemical and carpet manufacturing, international gaming, chiropractic and waste and recycling industries.
Ms. McCallum also works with the firm’s Commercial Litigation practice group where she applies her extensive labor, employment and commercial litigation experience in providing assistance to publicly and privately held companies, officers and directors in federal and state courts and various arbitration forums throughout the country. Ms. McCallum has litigated numerous complex matters, including individual, class and collective actions.
Representative Commercial Transactions
- Associate counsel in quarter-billion-dollar asset sale of three chemical manufacturing and distributing companies in the carpet industry
- Associate counsel in multiple multi-million dollar commercial loans
- Associate counsel in purchase and leasing of luxury airplane
- Associate counsel in stock purchase of auto detailing company
- Obtained dismissal of disability discrimination action in federal district court against gasoline and convenience store company.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurance company in California Superior Court against claims of former insurance agent asserting she was misclassified as an independent contractor, and asserting numerous additional claims of religious discrimination, unpaid wages, and violation of California labor and wage laws.
- Successfully represented an oil company in several actions brought by former Measurement While Drilling engineers asserting misclassification under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Successfully defended wealth management client in an extensive ERISA investigation by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employee Benefits Administration.
- Successfully represented numerous companies in investigations by various federal and state agencies, including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunities Commission, U.S. Department of Labor (including the WHD, OFCCP, OSHA, and EBSA), Georgia Department of Labor, Hawaii Department of Human Resources and Development, Florida Commission on Human Relations, Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission.
- Georgia Bar Association,
- Fayette County Bar Association
Articles & Publications
- Co-Author, "The Era of President Donald J. Trump – What Employers Can Expect,” Employment Relations Today, Winter 2017
- Co-Author, "Impact of the Presidential Election on the Workplace," Hotel Business, October 2016
- Co-Author, "Six Steps for Effective Performance Evaluations," CFMA Building Profits, March/April 2016