Emory University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1971
University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1974
Best Lawyers in America
Georgia Super Lawyers
Georgia Legal Elite
Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel ("ACTEC")
Editor in Chief, Georgia Law Review, 1974
Omicron Delta Kappa Honorary
Phi Kappa Phi Honorary
Tom Jones is a Chamberlain Hrdlicka shareholder who maintains a dual practice in Corporate/Business law and Trust and Estates law. He has over 40 years of experience providing counsel and guidance to corporate management, business owners, and individuals in these areas. His clients include banks and other public companies, successful private businesses in a broad range of industries, and individuals and their families.
Tom was born and raised in Canton, Georgia, where he attended public schools. He graduated from Emory University in 1971 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History (Magna Cum Laude) where he was a member of Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society and Sigma Nu social fraternity. In 1974 Tom graduated from the University of Georgia School of Law with a Juris Doctor degree (Magna Cum Laude) and was admitted to the Georgia Bar later that same year. In Law School, Tom was the Editor-in Chief of the Georgia Law Review (1973-74). He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Atlanta Bar Association, the State Bar of Georgia (Corporate and Banking and Fiduciary Law Sections), the Atlanta Estate Planning Council, and has been a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel ("ACTEC") since 1998. Tom served as Chairman of the Fiduciary Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia in 1997 and was a Member of the Georgia Trust Code Revision Committee (2003 to 2010) that comprehensively re-wrote the laws of the State of Georgia governing trusts and trustees. Tom consistently appears as a Superlawyer in Atlanta Magazine and in the publication “Best Lawyers in America.”
Seminars and Publications
- April 21, 1989; Small Estate Administration Seminar; Sponsored by Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia “Transfers to Minors”; Thomas E. Jones, Jr.
- October 10, 1995 Seminar Sponsored by National Business Institute, Inc. “Basic Probate Procedures and Practice in Georgia”; Thomas E. Jones, Jr.
- December 10, 1998; CHWWA Tax and Business Seminar “I Told You…I Don’t Want It.” - Using Disclaimers in Estate Planning. Maybe Sometimes, Less is More, Or, Can 4 Minus 2 Really Equal 10?”; James M. Kane and Thomas E. Jones, Jr.
- December 2, 1999; CHWWA Tax and Business Seminar “Organizing and Financing the Emerging Growth Company”; Thomas E. Jones, Jr., Robert J. Viguet, Jr. and Andrew P. Kaiser
- November 27, 2000; CHWWA Tax and Business Seminar “Planning Checklist for the $5,000,000 Estate”; J. Scot Kirkpatrick and Thomas E. Jones, Jr.
- December 4, 2002; CHWWA Tax and Business Seminar “Top Ten Mistakes Made by Private Companies”; Thomas E. Jones, Jr., Scott A. Augustine and David A. Wisniewski
- December 4, 2003; CHWWA Tax and Business Seminar “Lock, Stock & Barrel – Legal and Practical Considerations Related to the Sale of a Business”; Thomas E. Jones, Jr., Scott A. Augustine and David A. Wisniewski
- December 17, 2008; CHWWA Tax and Business Seminar “Whoa Nellie!...When Further Expertise in Corporate and Intellectual Property Law May Be Prudent”; Nancy K. Gardner and Thomas E. Jones, Jr.
- November 14, 2012; CHWWA Tax and Business Seminar “David vs. Goliath: Representing the Franchisee”; Scott A. Augustine and Thomas E. Jones, Jr.
- July 12, 2013; Fiduciary Law Institute “So You Call Yourself a Trust Attorney? Making Friends with a Baker’s Dozen of Georgia’s Greatest Trust Law Cases”; Thomas E. Jones, Jr. and Ashley P. Alderman
- November 12, 2014; CHWWA Tax and Business Seminar “Intellectual Property Boot Camp: Recognizing Your Clients’ Intellectual Property Issues and Blind Spots”; Thomas E. Jones, Jr., Scott A. Augustine and Lori Ann Johnson
- December 1, 2015; CHWWA Tax and Business Seminar “The Family Game of Thrones: A Planner’s Guide to Drafting Business Succession Plans”; Thomas E. Jones, Jr. and Karen Kurtz
- December 6, 2016; CHWWA Tax and Business Seminar and Business Seminar “What Does the Election Mean to Our Anchor Clients:
Nothing Succeeds Like Secession?”; Thomas E. Jones, Jr., David D. Aughtry and Jasen D. Hanson
- May 16. 2018; CHWWA Atlanta Area Tax Forum “Trust Me! New Opportunities for the use of Trusts under Tax Reform and Georgia's 2018 Trust Code Revisions"; Thomas E. Jones, Jr., Christopher A. Steele, Steven M. Wyatt and Stephen C. Heymann
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel ("ACTEC")
- Member, ABA Mergers and Acquisitions Committee
- Atlanta Estate Planning Council
- Chairman, Fiduciary Law Section, State Bar of Georgia, 1996
- Member, Trust Code Revision Committee, State Bar of Georgia, 2002-present
- Member, Guardianship Code Revision Committee, State Bar of Georgia, 1996-2002
- Member, Business Law Section, State Bar of Georgia
- Record Number of Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News 2020 Best Lawyers in America® and Four Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 15, 2019
- February 7, 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka again named a "Best Law Firm" by US NewsNovember 1, 2018
- Peer Ranked in Construction, Eminent Domain, Employee Benefits (ERISA), Government Relations, Immigration, Litigation - Construction, Litigation - Trusts & Estates, Tax, Tax Litigation & Controversy, Trademark, Trusts & EstatesSeptember 18, 2018
- February 2018
- National law firm achieves top rankings in tax law, tax litigation and trust and estates law
- 1974 “Durham v. Stand-By Labor of Georgia” 8 Ga. L. Rev. 527 (1974)
(Edited Recent Decision) Thomas E. Jones, Jr.
- 1976 “The Private Placement Exemption and the Blue Sky Laws -- Shoals in the Safe Harbor” 33 Washington & Lee L. Rev. 877 (1976) Thomas E. Jones, Jr. and Robert M. Royalty
- Fall, 1995 “Fiduciary Law Section Handbook and Directory”
(Updated) Thomas E. Jones, Jr.
- Summer, 1997 “Minimizing Estate Taxes with Family Limited Partnerships”
GACS Today (Georgia Association of Convenience Stores) News,
Vol. 3, No. 5 Thomas E. Jones, Jr. and Andrew P. Kaiser
- Fall 2001 Edition of TAXPRO JOURNAL “Estate Planning in the Wake of Reform” J. Scot Kirkpatrick and Thomas E. Jones, Jr.