Mercer University School of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2010; Mercer Law Review, Member, 2008-2009; Mercer Law Review, Administrative Editor, 2009-2010; Advanced Legal Writing Certificate; Brainerd Curie Honor Society; Julius Gholson Memorial Academic Scholarship Recipient
Binghamton University, State University of New York, Bachelor of Arts in History, Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy Politics and Law, cum laude, 2007
United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
Georgia Supreme Court
Georgia Court of Appeals
Erica L. Opitz is a senior associate in the firm’s Atlanta office in the Corporate, Securities, and Finance practice group. Often serving as a client’s outside general counsel, Ms. Opitz assists clients with corporate governance, commercial contract, mergers and acquisitions, and privately-held securities matters. Ms. Opitz also serves as the Atlanta office’s primary drafter of Georgia legal opinions. Ms. Opitz has represented clients across a variety of industries, including the moving and storage, merchant services, certified public accounting, investment management, airplane battery manufacturing, building supply distribution, chiropractic, waste and recycling, chicken processing, fast food, and plastic bottle manufacturing industries.
- Lead Counsel in asset purchase of waste and recycling broker business
- Associate Counsel in Series A, Series B, Series C and Series D capital raises
Lead counsel in multi-million dollar real estate purchase of cheese factory
- Lead counsel in purchase and leasing of luxury airplane
- Lead counsel in asset purchase of wild bird specialty store franchise from franchisee
- Associate counsel in multi-million dollar asset and real estate purchase of 12 fast food franchise units from franchisor
- Associate counsel in purchase of yacht
- Associate counsel in hundred million dollar asset sale of insurance brokerage firm
- Associate counsel in multi-million dollar stock sale of company operating 13 AT&T dealerships
- Lead counsel in purchase of certified public accounting practice
- Lead Counsel in multi-million dollar sale of employee benefits practice
- Lead Counsel in multi-million dollar purchase of chicken processing plant and business from multi-billion dollar company
- Associate Counsel in reverse triangular merger of employee benefits practice
- Associate counsel in multiple multi-million dollar asset sales of franchisee businesses to franchisor
- Associate counsel in multi-million dollar real estate purchase and sale and substitution of property as collateral under loan documents for company specializing in distributing building supplies
- Associate counsel to publicly-traded company in multi-million dollar asset purchase of United States company and stock purchase of United Kingdom company specializing in distributing airplane batteries
- Associate counsel in multi-million dollar unit sale of investment management company
- Associate counsel in multi-million dollar asset sale of credit card processing company
- Associate counsel in over 15 different multi-million dollar asset sales of moving and storage businesses
- Advisory Committee of Pro Bono Partnership of Atlanta
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- The TJE American Business Magazine, May 2016
- Georgia Businesses Don’t Have to Wait for SEC Clarity on Crowdfunding; Invest GA Exemption Offers Funding OpportunitiesHypepotamus, October 2014
- Satair USA Successfully Acquires Leading Aviation Batteries Distributor Aero Quality SalesAugust 2011
- TA Associates Acquires Majority Interest in the Investment Management FirmAugust 2011
- August 2009
Articles & Publications
- Co-Author, "Letters of Intent Can Carry Unintended Consequences," WardsAuto, August 2017.
- Co-Author, “Georgia Businesses Don’t Have to Wait for SEC Clarity on Crowdfunding; Invest Georgia Exemption Offers Funding Opportunities,” Hypepotamus, October 2014.
- Summary of the Tax Relief Act of 2010, Estate & Gift Tax Committee of the Real Property, Trust and Estate Section of the American Bar Association Publication.
- “Retaliation and Discrimination – One and the Same? A Critique of Gomez-Perez v. Potter,” ABA Journal of Labor & Employment Law, Fall 2009 Edition.