Federal White Collar Criminal Defense
Our reputation in criminal tax defense helped develop our strengths in white collar crime defense since there is significant overlap in the types of skills needed to successfully defend criminal tax and white collar criminal investigations and prosecutions.
Our team, including decorated former federal prosecutors, have successfully represented clients in such diverse matters as political corruption, ethics matters, financial fraud and federal program fraud.
The potential damage to reputation along with other devastating consequences that can result from white collar crime prosecutions informs Chamberlain Hrdlicka’s aggressive approach to preventing indictments. Our attorneys utilize their knowledge of government investigative technique and procedure to mount the best defense upfront to convince government decision-makers that the case is not worthy of prosecution.
If the case moves forward, our experience has taught us to focus on preparation through exhaustive fact-finding, pursuit of all possible defenses, and creative use of experts. Our no-stone-left-unturned approach means that a client can be assured that Chamberlain Hrdlicka will provide the best possible defense to its case should an indictment occur. Our attorneys also have extensive experience in negotiating highly favorable plea deals based on their thorough knowledge of the United States Federal Sentencing Guidelines, government pre-sentence reports (PSR’s), and other highly material factors that can affect sentencing. Some of our notable accomplishments in white collar crime defense:
- Successfully represented numerous federal and state elected officials in federal, state and local criminal ethics matters.
- Successfully represented a number of city housing authorities in U.S. Housing and Urban Development Inspector General Audits.
- Represented a corporate executive in a state investigation regarding misuse of federal highway funds.
- Represented an attorney in a federal mortgage fraud matter.
- Represented a New Jersey state official in a state investigation involving allegations of fraud.
- Prosecution declined by the Unites States Attorney respecting a national health care equipment supplier after lengthy investigation by multiple Federal agencies.
- Judgment of acquittal granted by the Court in the prosecution of banker for money laundering.
- Road contractor acquitted by jury in a bid rigging case.
- United States Attorney declines prosecution of a mortgage broker in a HUD fraud case.
- Bankruptcy fraud charge dismissed for a plea to a misdemeanor resulting in probation.
Types of White Collar Crime Services:
Campaign Finance and Ethics Violations: Violation of the Federal Election Campaign Act, Hobbs Act, RICO, Federal and State Bribery statues.
Financial Crimes: Mail & wire fraud, conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and RICO violations.
Health Care Fraud: Medicare and/or Medicaid fraud, kickbacks and Stark, billing, insurance fraud
Banking and Financial Fraud: Embezzlement, money laundering, bankruptcy fraud, pension fund fraud, currency manipulation, other antitrust violations.
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Bribery and corrupt practices to obtain foreign or domestic business.
Environmental Fraud: Violations of the Clean Air Act, TNRCC, CERCLA, Solid Waste Disposal Act, and Clean Water Act.
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka continues to enhance its Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" Rankings with the 2024 Edition2024 Best Lawyers® ranks Chamberlain Hrdlicka among "Best Law Firms"November 3, 2023
- Best Lawyers in America® recognizes 87 Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in a peer selection process for the 2024 edition of Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 17, 2023
- Houston Business Journal – Chamberlain Hrdlicka plans $6M update at Allen Center headquarters to accommodate growthChamberlain Hrdlicka’s continued growth in Texas drives strategic office renovations in Houston and San AntonioAugust 4, 2023
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka's San Antonio Office expands space and updates officesAugust 1, 2023
- Chambers & Partners’ 2023 High Net Worth Guide ranks Larry Campagna & Brett BerlyJuly 21, 2023
- Legal 500 ranks David Aughtry and Larry Campagna in its Hall of Fame, Jaime Vasquez and Juan Vasquez Jr rank as Leading Lawyers in US: Tax Contentious CategoryJune 12, 2023
- Kevin Sweeney quoted in Tax Notes articleTax Notes, June 1, 2023
- Phil Karter, Ken Trujillo and Stewart Weintraub named 2023 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers and Jennifer Karpchuk named 2023 Rising StarMay 19, 2023
- Texas Lawyer: Larry Campagna elected to serve as 2023-24 president of the American College of Tax CounselArticle in Texas Lawyer discusses the election of Larry Campagna as president of the American College of Tax CounselTexas Lawyer, March 7, 2023
- Larry Campagna, Chamberlain Hrdlicka’s Managing Shareholder, elected to serve as 2023-24 President of the American College of Tax CounselLarry Campagna will serve as 2023-24 President of the American College of Tax CounselFebruary 23, 2023
- Larry Campagna featured in Best Lawyers’ Purely Pure Voting: Authenticity and Trust Through Decades of TraditionFebruary 10, 2023
- Larry Campagna, Chamberlain Hrdlicka’s Managing Shareholder, inducted into the 2023 Class of the Lawdragon Hall of FameLawdragon selects Larry Campagna for 2023 Hall of Fame ClassJanuary 10, 2023
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka enhances its US News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" Rankings with the 2023 Edition2023 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" ranks Chamberlain HrdlickaNovember 3, 2022
- Kevin Sweeney quoted in Bloomberg Tax articleBloomberg Tax, November 1, 2022
- 2022 Texas Super Lawyers includes Chamberlain Hrdlicka AttorneysSeptember 21, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America® recognizes 72 Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys in a peer selection process for the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 18, 2022
- Legal 500 rankings for Chamberlain Hrdlicka as a Top Tax Law Firm and Adds to Individual Ranks in 2022June 17, 2022
- Larry Campagna, Chamberlain Hrdlicka’s Managing Shareholder, Receives the Jules Ritholz Memorial Merit AwardAmerican Bar Association awards Jules Ritholz Memorial Merit Award to Larry CampagnaMay 16, 2022
- American College of Tax Counsel elects Larry Campagna as Vice PresidentMarch 23, 2022
- Article by Houston Business Journal with Larry Campagna about 2021 Most Admired CEOsHouston Business Journal, August 20, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America® selects 54 Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys for Recognition for 2022August 19, 2021
- Quote by Larry Campagna in article on “Trump Org Case Hinges on Proving Deliberate Tax Dodges”Bloomberg Tax, July 2, 2021
- Houston Business Journal names Larry Campagna as one of 2021 Most Admired CEOsJune 30, 2021
- Two Philadelphia Attorneys elevated by Chamberlain HrdlickaMarch 2, 2021
- Five Attorneys elevated at First Virtual Shareholders MeetingMarch 2, 2021
- “Let's Protect Our People': How Chamberlain Hrdlicka's New Leader Pivoted Priorities in His First Year”Interview with Larry Campagna for article on “Let's Protect Our People': How Chamberlain Hrdlicka's New Leader Pivoted Priorities in His First Year”Texas Lawyer and The Daily Report, December 29, 2020
- Larry Campagna receives 2020 Bruce I. Hochman AwardOctober 28, 2020
- Kevin Sweeney in The Legal Intelligencer for 2020 Lawyers on the Fast TrackSeptember 25, 2020
- Texas Lawyer Honors Larry Campagna, Managing Shareholder at Chamberlain Hrdlicka, with 2020 Lifetime Achievement AwardLarry Campagna receives Texas Lawyer Lifetime Achievement Award for 2020September 17, 2020
- San Antonio Scene Magazine Recognizes Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys as “Best San Antonio Lawyers 2020”Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Recognized by San Antonio Scene MagazineSan Antonio Scene Magazine, August 3, 2020
- US News, November 2019
- Record Number of Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys Named to US News 2020 Best Lawyers in America® and Four Attorneys Recognized as Lawyer of the YearAugust 15, 2019
- Stewart M. Weintraub and Kenneth I. Trujillo recognized among top lawyers in Pennsylvania
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka senior counsel discusses attorney-client privilege at annual anti-fraud conference
- Stewart M. Weintraub and Kenneth I. Trujillo recognized among top lawyers in Pennsylvania
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Senior Counsel Presents to Philadelphia Chapter of Association of Certified Fraud ExaminersKevin F. Sweeney discusses attorney-client privilege with anti-fraud organization ACFE
- Former federal tax prosecutor brings deep knowledge of high-stakes IRS audits, tax litigation, white-collar criminal defense, and banking matters
- Prominent litigator and former Democratic candidate for Philadelphia mayor moves law practice to Philadelphia office of Chamberlain Hrdlicka
- Experienced government and regulatory affairs lawyer gives advice to professionals who are hoping to spark constitutional change
Seminars & Presentations
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka will host Laredo Tax and Business Planning Seminar at the Laredo Country Club on November 8, 2022November 8, 2022
- In-Person & Virtual - Chamberlain Hrdlicka 5th Annual San Antonio Tax and Business Planning Seminar - November 3, 2022Chamberlain Hrdlicka will have our 5th Annual San Antonio Tax and Business Planning Seminar at The St. Anthony Hotel on November 3, 2022November 3, 2022
- The Continuing Role of the Fifth Amendment Protections in Tax Enforcement36th National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud & 9th Annual National Institute on Tax ControversyLas Vegas, NV, December 12, 2019
- Tax Regulatory Update, Process and Potential Questions Regarding ValidityDeloitte Tax Global Tax Planning ConferenceVillanova, PA, November 21, 2019
- Cryptocurrency: Tax Reporting and Enforcement IssuesNassau County Bar Association - Dean’s HourMineola, NY, November 13, 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka senior counsel will discuss attorney-client privilege at annual anti-fraud conferenceRamada Plaza Conference Center, 390 Forsgate Drive, Monroe Township, NJ 08831
- 33rd Annual National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud and 6th Annual National Institute on Tax ControversyLas Vegas
- Coindesk, April 2018
- When Keeping Investments in Offshore Insurance Wrappers Goes Wrong: The Tax Risks and Benefits of Offshore Private Placement InsuranceAICPA Practical Tax Strategies, April 2018