Mindful of the complicated appellate process, we strive to achieve exceptional results at a reasonable cost.
Chamberlain Hrdlicka has an extremely successful and highly regarded appellate presence, which supplements the firm's diverse litigation practice. We handle appellate matters in state and federal courts throughout the United States. We have the ability and resources to handle appeals for large national and multi-national corporations, small to mid-sized companies, and individuals, both in support of and attacking judgments and the pursuit of alternative appellate remedies. We regularly handle “bet the company” cases.
Steven J. Knight, the firm’s Appellate Practice Chair, leads the section. Having started his legal career as an appellate court briefing attorney, Mr. Knight has amassed significant appellate experience. He has successfully presented oral arguments in the Texas Supreme Court, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and many intermediate appellate courts. Mr. Knight has also prepared and filed countless appellate briefs, including filings in the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Knight remains very active in the appellate legal community. Among other things, he is a member of the Appellate Section of the Houston Bar Association. He is also active in the Texas State Bar Appellate Section, where he has served as the Co-Chair of the Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Committee. Additionally, Mr. Knight has presented lectures on various appellate topics at CLE seminars. He also volunteers his time to judge national moot court competitions.
As with our litigation philosophy, we align our appellate strategies with the client’s interests and objectives to achieve the desired result in the most efficient way possible. Cognizant of the often lengthy duration of appeals, we are sensitive to the cost and expense and strive to achieve exceptional results for clients at a reasonable cost. Our appellate attorneys are seasoned and skilled, having collectively handled hundreds of briefs and oral arguments in appellate courts across the country.
Areas of Expertise
Our attorneys routinely and effectively manage every aspect of the appellate process, including:
- Preparation of the jury charge and taking the lead role during charge conferences
- Handling post-trial proceedings, including all post-verdict motions necessary for error preservation
- Suspension of judgment issues, including supersedeas bond or execution disputes and enforcement of the Texas bond cap and alternative bond amounts
- Post-judgment discovery
- Appellate level mediations
- Motions for rehearing and rehearing en banc, as well as motions relating to issuance of the court’s mandate
- Mandamus proceedings
- Handling briefing and oral argument in both intermediate appellate courts and courts of last resort in multiple jurisdictions
The legal expertise of our appellate practictioners has produced many landmark successes in state and federal courts of appeals. Among other groundbreaking decisions, our attorneys have won favorable opinions in areas of commercial disputes, torts, premises liability, products liability, exemplary damages, employment matters, and governmental liability/immunity.
- January 26, 2018
- Complex commercial litigation lawyer Matthew S. Olesh named among young Philadelphia legal leaders
- Complex commercial litigation attorney Matthew S. Olesh leads the nearly 3,000 young lawyers of the Philadelphia Bar AssociationMarch 16, 2017
- Experienced litigator brings deep knowledge of complex commercial litigation as well as dedication to community and civic engagement
- Experienced civil trial attorneys head to the Philadelphia office of Chamberlain Hrdlicka
- Government and regulatory affairs lawyer James J. Eisenhower a regular commentator on weekend political show on Philadelphia’s WPVI.
- Regulatory affairs and white collar criminal defense lawyer joins diversified law firm as Of Counsel