Mindful of the complicated appellate process, we strive to achieve exceptional results at a reasonable cost.
Chamberlain Hrdlicka has an extremely successful and highly regarded appellate presence, which supplements the firm's diverse litigation practice. We handle appellate matters in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
We have the ability and resources to handle appeals for large national and multi-national corporations, small to mid-sized companies, and individuals, both in support of and attacking judgments and the pursuit of alternative appellate remedies. We regularly handle “bet the company” cases.
As with our litigation philosophy, we align our appellate strategies with the client’s interests and objectives to achieve the desired result in the most efficient way possible. Cognizant of the often lengthy duration of appeals, we are sensitive to the cost and expense and strive to achieve exceptional results for clients at a reasonable cost. Our appellate attorneys are seasoned and skilled, having collectively handled hundreds of briefs and oral arguments in appellate courts across the country.
Areas of Expertise
Our attorneys routinely and effectively manage every aspect of the appellate process, including:
- Preparation of the jury charge and taking the lead role during charge conferences
- Handling post-trial proceedings, including all post-verdict motions necessary for error preservation
- Suspension of judgment issues, including supersedeas bond or execution disputes and enforcement of the Texas bond cap and alternative bond amounts
- Post-judgment discovery
- Appellate level mediations
- Motions for rehearing and rehearing en banc, as well as motions relating to issuance of the court’s mandate
- Mandamus proceedings
- Handling briefing and oral argument in both intermediate appellate courts and courts of last resort in multiple jurisdictions
The legal expertise of our appellate practictioners has produced many landmark successes in state and federal courts of appeals. Among other groundbreaking decisions, our attorneys have won favorable opinions in areas of commercial disputes, torts, premises liability, products liability, exemplary damages, employment matters, and governmental liability/immunity.
- Appellate Law Blog launched at Chamberlain HrdlickaSeptember 30, 2021
- American Arbitration Association renews David Calvillo’s Appointment to the American Arbitration Association’s Roster of Arbitrators and MediatorsDavid Calvillo is Reappointed to Roster for American Arbitration AssociationSeptember 9, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America® selects 54 Chamberlain Hrdlicka Attorneys for Recognition for 2022August 19, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka adding former Texas Supreme Court Justice Eva GuzmanAugust 4, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka attorneys are ranked in Appellate, Commercial Litigation, Construction, Corporate, Criminal Defense, Employee Benefits, Energy, Immigration, Insurance, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, Real Estate, Tax, and Trust & EJune 22, 2021
- Final Judgment Entered in Landmark Decision: Federal Tax on Crude Oil Exports Unconstitutional, Court orders $4.2 Million Tax Refund/InterestCourt orders $4.2 Million Tax Refund and Statutory Interest in Landmark DecisionJanuary 11, 2021
- Houstonia Magazine names Chamberlain Attorneys as 2021 Top LawyersHoustonia Magazine, November 30, 2020
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka team works on landmark case involving federal tax on crude oil exportsSeptember 24, 2020
- February 13, 2020
- December 2019
- Texas Lawyer article - "Six Ways to Avoid the Most Common Mistakes Trial Lawyers Make on Jury Charges"Six Ways to Avoid the Most Common Mistakes Trial Lawyers Make on Jury ChargesTexas Lawyer, March 12, 2019
- San Antonio Business Journal, March 8, 2019
- Employment Law Daily, March 8, 2019
- Oil & Gas Journal, March 5, 2019
- Oil Industry Workers Can Be Correctly Classified As Independent Contractors, Says Fifth Circuit in Highly Anticipated Energy Industry RulingChamberlain Hrdlicka Law Firm Secures Significant Appellate Victory for Client, Premier Directional Drilling, and All Oil and Gas CompaniesMarch 4, 2019
- December 28, 2018
- January 26, 2018
- Experienced civil trial attorney heads to the Philadelphia office of Chamberlain Hrdlicka
- Regulatory affairs and white collar criminal defense lawyer joins diversified law firm as Of Counsel
- Texas Supreme Court update by Steven KnightTexas Bar Journal, September 2021
- May 24, 2019
- What Options Exist When Your Trial Goes Bad Unexpectedly? Understanding the Appeal Process in Texas CourtsAppellate Blog, October 3, 2021
- Appellate Blog, September 29, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Law Firm Secures Significant Appellate Victory for Client, Premier Directional Drilling, and All Oil and Gas CompaniesLabor & Employment Blog, March 4, 2019