University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1986
Evangel University, B.S., 1983
Listed, The Best Lawyers in America® (2018)
Pennsylvania "Super Lawyer," 2005-2017
Ohtli Award Recipient (one of the highest awards given to non-Mexican citizens by the Mexican government), 2005
Philadelphia Business Journal "40 Under 40," 1999
Listed in The Bond Buyer's Municipal Marketplace ("The Red Book")
For three decades, Kenneth I. Trujillo has represented U.S. and foreign corporations and government entities, executives, lawyers, and other individuals with particular emphasis on contract disputes, securities, antitrust, education, and other regulatory issues. His practice involves complex civil litigation and class actions, and he counsels clients on regulatory matters and internal investigations. Mr. Trujillo has also represented numerous public officials and government entities, including city council members, mayors, governors, states, cities and Native American tribes in civil and criminal matters. He has extensive jury trial experience having tried to verdict civil and criminal cases ranging from personal injury to civil rights to complex class actions. Beyond his litigation experience, Mr. Trujillo has broad experience in planning of large-scale projects ranging from sports stadiums to casinos.
Mr. Trujillo was the principal U.S. outside counsel for Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico, the Mexican national railway, for years until it was privatized, representing it in U.S. litigation matters and cross border transactions. In addition, he represented numerous Mexican companies in cross border disputes regarding intellectual property, licensing and joint ventures, and has represented numerous U.S. and Mexican companies in transactions, disputes and the like. Mr. Trujillo has led several trade missions to Mexico, Panama, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Peru and the Dominican Republic.
Mr. Trujillo served as the City Solicitor of Philadelphia and as an Assistant U.S. Attorney. As City Solicitor, Mr. Trujillo represented the Mayor, City Council and all departments, agencies and commissions of the City of Philadelphia. He also sat on the Mayor's cabinet and ran the 155-lawyer Law Department.
As a leader in the business community, Mr. Trujillo plays a major role in public and private economic development. He is co-chair of the 2016 Democratic National Convention Host Committee. From 2009-2012, he served as a Commissioner of the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board regulating Pennsylvania casinos. In 2011, Mr. Trujillo purchased WHAT 1340 AM radio station and relaunched it as El Zol Philly, a Spanish language contemporary hit radio station now on 97.1 FM. In 2008, Mr. Trujillo was appointed to President-Elect Barack Obama's Presidential Transition Team, where he served on the agency review team for the Securities and Exchange Commission. In 2003, Mr. Trujillo served on the Executive Committee of Governor Ed Rendell's Transition Team as counsel and shortly thereafter, Governor Rendell appointed Mr. Trujillo to the Board of Directors of the Pennsylvania Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority, the entity that oversees the City of Philadelphia's finances. In 2005, Governor Rendell appointed Mr. Trujillo a Commissioner of the Delaware River Port Authority.
Mr. Trujillo serves as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Pennsylvania Law School. He is resident in the Firm's Philadelphia office.
Significant Matters and Results
In the securities litigation arena, Mr. Trujillo represents large private and public investors and companies in shareholder disputes.
- Part of the trial team for United Engineers & Constructors, Inc. in In re: Washington Public Power Supply Systems Securities Litigation, the largest municipal bond default in U.S. history.
- Served as co-lead counsel in a case against KLA Tencor involving the back dating of stock options that resulted in a $65 million settlement.
- Represented several Commonwealth of Pennsylvania funds in litigation arising from the funds' purchase of Time Warner and AOL securities, which resulted in a $23 million settlement for the funds.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Mr. Trujillo is regularly called on to resolve disputes between companies, individuals and government entities as a mediator and as counsel. For example:
- Defended and resolved civil rights class action case against the City of Philadelphia over strip search policies.
- Brought in to resolve multiparty, multimillion dollar dispute involving various wrongful death matters.
- Mediated multimillion dollar dispute between city agencies.
- Mediated dispute between community groups and financial institution due to branch closings.
Mr. Trujillo's antitrust experience includes:
- Obtained $50 million settlement as co-lead counsel in a multidistrict antitrust matter involving the pricing of laser vision correction procedures.
In his previous role as City Solicitor of Philadelphia, Mr. Trujillo:
- Brought cutting edge handgun litigation on behalf of the City of Philadelphia and other cities and settled case against Smith & Wesson.
- Advised the City of Philadelphia and the mayor in implementing the Neighborhood Transformation Initiative.
- Represented the City of Philadelphia in the development of Lincoln Financial Field and Citizens Bank Park.
- National Council of La Raza, Board of Directors, Former Secretary, Treasurer and First Vice Chair; Audit Committee
- Strategic Investment Fund for La Raza, Inc., Chair; Board of Directors
- Raza Development Fund, Board of Directors
- Congreso de Latinos Unidos, Inc., Board of Directors, Former Chair
- Health Partners, Board of Directors, Former Chair; Audit Committee, Former Chair
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Southeastern Pennsylvania, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Community Legal Services, Inc., Board of Directors, Former Member
- Philadelphia Volunteers for the Indigent (Philly VIP), Board of Directors, Former Member
- Greater Philadelphia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, Former Chair
- WHYY Radio and Television, Board of Directors
- American Law Institute, Member
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Board of Governors
- Hispanic Bar Association of Pennsylvania, Past President
- Hispanic Bar Association of Pennsylvania's Legal Education Fund, Former Board Member
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Board of Governors, Past Member; Federal Courts Committee, Past Co-Chair
- April 17, 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka again named a "Best Law Firm" by US NewsNovember 1, 2018
- Peer Ranked in Construction, Eminent Domain, Employee Benefits (ERISA), Government Relations, Immigration, Litigation - Construction, Litigation - Trusts & Estates, Tax, Tax Litigation & Controversy, Trademark, Trusts & EstatesSeptember 18, 2018
- National law firm achieves top rankings in tax law, tax litigation and trust and estates law
- October 13, 2017
- Litigation and Controversy Tax, Employee Benefits (ERISA), Government Relations Lawyers from Chamberlain Hrdlicka Listed Among Best in U.S.