Criminal Tax Defense
True to our co-founding by former United States Department of Justice tax litigators, Chamberlain Hrdlicka has a long history of defending criminal tax prosecutions and investigations. And like our founders, our criminal tax attorneys have been lauded for their work both inside and outside the government and are some of the most recognized criminal tax defense attorneys in the country.
Our criminal tax attorneys understand that the best result to avoid criminal indictment altogether. Therefore, we have worked hard to establish a well-deserved reputation for integrity among government prosecutors. This reputation for integrity along with our knowledge of the most critical facets of criminal tax investigations means we are often able to convince government decision-makers to decline prosecution.
However, if the government chooses to indict despite our best efforts, Chamberlain Hrdlicka’s attorneys have the litigation and trial experience to obtain favorable plea deals or acquittals. Chamberlain Hrdlicka’s founding as a tax litigation firm enables us to draw upon our broad and deep institutional tax expertise to put forth the strongest defense possible when a case is moving towards trial. We have the tangible results to prove it.
Some of our notable accomplishments in the area of criminal tax defense:
- Representation of a prominent tax/real estate attorney who was acquitted after trial by a jury in a tax evasion case.
- Computer manufacturer/promoter acquitted by a jury in a tax evasion case.
- Professional athlete acquitted by the Court after trial to a jury.
- Husband and wife tennis professionals acquitted by a jury in a tax evasion case.
- Prosecution declined by the United States Attorney respecting alleged tax evasion by a night club owner.
- Prosecution declined by the United States Attorney respecting alleged tax evasion by owners of a nursery business.
- Prosecution declined by the Department of Justice, Tax Division of alleged tax evasion by owners of an aircraft business.
- Prosecution declined by the Department of Justice Tax Division of a high-profile personal injury lawyer accused of tax evasion.
- Tax Division dismisses felony charges against a doctor in a tax shelter case and accepts a plea to misdemeanor charges resulting in a sentence of probation.
- Obtained probation for doctor and wife sentenced after their conviction for tax evasion.
- Obtained sentencing alternatives to avoid deportation of a resident alien convicted of subscribing a false income tax return.
Types of Criminal Tax Cases:
Tax Fraud: Federal and state tax fraud including estate tax cases
Willful Failure to File
Willful Failure to Pay
- 2022 Texas Super Lawyers includes Chamberlain Hrdlicka AttorneysSeptember 21, 2022
- Legal 500 rankings for Chamberlain Hrdlicka as a Top Tax Law Firm and Adds to Individual Ranks in 2022June 17, 2022
- Larry Campagna, Chamberlain Hrdlicka’s Managing Shareholder, Receives the Jules Ritholz Memorial Merit AwardAmerican Bar Association awards Jules Ritholz Memorial Merit Award to Larry CampagnaMay 16, 2022
- American College of Tax Counsel elects Larry Campagna as Vice PresidentMarch 23, 2022
- Kevin Sweeney is spotlighted in Bloomberg TaxBloomberg Tax, November 5, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka increases and enhances listings in 2022 US News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" RankingsNovember 4, 2021
- Article by Houston Business Journal with Larry Campagna about 2021 Most Admired CEOsHouston Business Journal, August 20, 2021
- Quote by Larry Campagna in article on “Trump Org Case Hinges on Proving Deliberate Tax Dodges”Bloomberg Tax, July 2, 2021
- Houston Business Journal names Larry Campagna as one of 2021 Most Admired CEOsJune 30, 2021
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka enhances Practice and Individual Rankings in Chambers & Partners 2021 USA GuideChambers & Partners 2021 List for Chamberlain Hrdlicka Practice and Individual RankingsJune 3, 2021
- Five Attorneys elevated at First Virtual Shareholders MeetingMarch 2, 2021
- “Let's Protect Our People': How Chamberlain Hrdlicka's New Leader Pivoted Priorities in His First Year”Interview with Larry Campagna for article on “Let's Protect Our People': How Chamberlain Hrdlicka's New Leader Pivoted Priorities in His First Year”Texas Lawyer and The Daily Report, December 29, 2020
- Larry Campagna receives 2020 Bruce I. Hochman AwardOctober 28, 2020
- Kevin Sweeney in The Legal Intelligencer for 2020 Lawyers on the Fast TrackSeptember 25, 2020
- Texas Lawyer Honors Larry Campagna, Managing Shareholder at Chamberlain Hrdlicka, with 2020 Lifetime Achievement AwardLarry Campagna receives Texas Lawyer Lifetime Achievement Award for 2020September 17, 2020
- US News, November 2019
- June 26, 2019
- March 26, 2019
- Blockt, February 3, 2019
- CNBC, January 30, 2019
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka senior counsel discusses attorney-client privilege at annual anti-fraud conference
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka Senior Counsel Presents to Philadelphia Chapter of Association of Certified Fraud ExaminersKevin F. Sweeney discusses attorney-client privilege with anti-fraud organization ACFE
- Former federal tax prosecutor brings deep knowledge of high-stakes IRS audits, tax litigation, white-collar criminal defense, and banking matters
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka again recognized nationally in The Legal 500 and Chambers & PartnersJune 2015
Seminars & Presentations
- January 6, 2020
- The Continuing Role of the Fifth Amendment Protections in Tax Enforcement36th National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud & 9th Annual National Institute on Tax ControversyLas Vegas, NV, December 12, 2019
- Tax Regulatory Update, Process and Potential Questions Regarding ValidityDeloitte Tax Global Tax Planning ConferenceVillanova, PA, November 21, 2019
- Cryptocurrency: Tax Reporting and Enforcement IssuesNassau County Bar Association - Dean’s HourMineola, NY, November 13, 2019
- Kevin F. Sweeney Presents on Cryptocurrency Taxation at the American Bar Association’s 35th National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud and Eighth Annual National Institute on Tax ControversyLas Vegas, NV, December 13, 2018
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka senior counsel will discuss attorney-client privilege at annual anti-fraud conferenceRamada Plaza Conference Center, 390 Forsgate Drive, Monroe Township, NJ 08831
- 33rd Annual National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud and 6th Annual National Institute on Tax ControversyLas Vegas
- Article by Kevin Sweeney on “COVID-19-Related Government Budget Deficits May Spur Aggressive Payroll and Sales Tax Audits”Modern Restaurant Management, August 10, 2020
- Keeping a Lid on the Crypt: Protecting Taxpayers’ Fifth Amendment Rights to Not Produce Incriminating Crypto RecordsCCH Journal of Tax Practice & Procedure, January 22, 2019
- Expat Network, September 2018
- Coindesk, April 2018
- When Keeping Investments in Offshore Insurance Wrappers Goes Wrong: The Tax Risks and Benefits of Offshore Private Placement InsuranceAICPA Practical Tax Strategies, April 2018